Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caching at Lake Ouachita

SunnyArkfam Guest

Caching at Lake Ouachita

Hi all! We are planning on a family reunion at Lake Ouachita in a few weeks and hope to go caching at least one day. Can some of the folks in that area suggest some specific caches that may be free of poison ivy in June at Lake Ouachita or near it? We are new to caching and prefer regular sized caches to micros.
    Thanks for your time and input.
    Sunny Arkfam

flannelman Guest
    The hiking trail at the state park isn't too bad. There are three or four ammo cans there and one micro that I know of. There are also other caches in the park. I'm not sure bout the poison ivy though. There are a lot of caches around the lake of all sizes and then Hot Springs is full of great caches too.

Let's see, size regular in June in Arkansas, with no trifoliate. That is a pretty tall order. LOSP is actually a PI garden of sorts, and it is very healthy there with some beds of around a half acre or so.
    Flannelman is right, there are several great caches in the park itself, as Susan and the gang are very geocaching friendly. As far as the PI, I would suggest taking along a long sleeve shirt and some gloves that could be slipped on when you go in for the find. I do this pretty regularly with very good success. I am dreadfully allergic to all trifoliate, and hopelessly addicted to geocaching, so that is how I compromise. The trick is that you need to be very vigilant when putting on or taking off the extra clothes, so that you don't let contaminated clothing come into contact with your skin. The other thing I do is to use a PI extract that I get from my local health food store. I have had excellent success with this, mostly as a preventative, but also to a lesser extent as an after contact remedy. Good luck and happy caching!
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!!

astrodav Guest
    Yeah, what he said ^^^^^^^ ...........

.......... or you can just hire me as a retrieval dog, since I'm 100% non-allergic to it. Don't even really know what it looks like because of that reason. Some of my caching-friends who have found my caches are aware of that, since they are sometimes stomped down into a 1 foot tall patch of the stuff.

But I DON'T do that on purpose, never ever, I promise, seriously. I'm not that mean. I just don't pay any attention at all where I go or step, unless it looks like a spider may live there & I go the other way .... or simply have a cardiac seizure right off the bat.

That makes me an excellent gopher. Just get me within 20 feet, oint me in the right direction, & tell me what I'm looking for & where it probably is. I'm for hire .... 10 cents per cache + all the ice tea I can drink.

Ashallond Guest
    We might have to regroup for a run on that lower power trail down by that one lake sometime then. I'm not very allergic, but I do get a small rash.

Ticks however, LOVE me.

astrodav Guest
    I'm game, anytime you are ready. Not skeered of snakes either.

Just don't whisper "spider" over my shoulder ..... unless you're sure you're not in the way.

One of my "friends" (??) on another forum has a habit of posting an image of some type of spider in one of my threads every now & then. He's known me forever & knows of my life-long ph-ph-phobia of them thangs.

Dunno why I'm like that, since I was pretty much raised in the woods. But everyone has an extreme phobia of something I suppose. I'm not interested in taking one of those psychology courses to cure it either. I'll just accept my fear, squish every one I see, & hope that they all die from spider-cancer someday.

Curiously, just the other day, I learned that one of the favorite diets of dirt-dobbers, mud-dobbers, whatever you want to call them is SPIDERS!! Bless their little hearts. I'm never going to harm another dirt-dobber next in my entire life.

Seriously though, anytime you want to run a trail, just holler. You made a pretty decent caching partner, most especially once we kinda got the hang of it.

Ashallond Guest
    Hmm, need to check with the wife....I may be able to get a day away this summer to run that trail.

:P

HikerRon Guest
    I wasnt allergic to PI until my 20's. Then while volunteering to help an allergic friend of mine put a treestand up a tree, well... OMG. Been allergic
    ever since. (he's still laughing probably)

Anyway, BUJI works great for me. Saw an ad on GC.com and bought a tube...quite expensive but a little goes a long way. I've never gotten
    poison ivy on my hands while using Buji. Been 2 years now.

DEEZER Guest
    Here's a link to some interesting facts about poison ivy.
    http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/fastfacts.html

Turns out, almost everyone will develop an allergic reaction to poison ivy with repeated exposure. Beware, if you think your immune, you may be in for a suprise one day.

SunnyArkfam Guest

Thanks

Thanks for the input about caches around Lake Ouachita and the advice about poison ivy. I'll check with the other family members coming and see what they want to do. So there are no specific fun or creative caches in the area anyone reccommends?