Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition, Friction or Good ole fashion caching

With Dan's site you did not have to put your finds in yourself dan polled from GC.com if thats what I read. That would have been awsome because I have a hard time remembering to go in and put my new caches in Keenpeople.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

southdeltan Guest
    I'm not referring to keenpeople. Keenpeople has been a very valueable tool in my opinion - but the fact that it requires people to manually enter their stats made it hard for some people to participate. A lot of people forget. I can't remember when the last time was I updated mine and I know I have more finds than I have recorded there.

Check this site out:

http://grand_high_pobah.home.comcast.net - Geocachers with 200 or more finds.

Here's Arkansas page: http://grand_high_pobah.home.comcast.net/Arkansas1.html

This page checks "statistically interesting" caches (In otherwords - caches with a lot of finds that are hopefully spread out across an area). If you have 200 finds and have found one of these caches, you'll be added to the list. It updates 2 times a week.

If you have 200 finds and aren't on the list - you haven't found one of the caches that he's checking. If you WANT to be on the list - email him, tell him your username and he'll try to find a cache to add (or adjust) so you'll show up on the list.

If your name is on the list and you don't want to be there - email him and ask him to remove it. He will.

The benifits to this are: It's autoupdating and it has almost everybody.
    The drawbacks: It doesn't show more statistical information - like how many finds you have in a state - or your hides.

He has several list. I find it amazing to know that the number one cacher has 7800 finds. There are roughly 4,400 geocachers with over 200 finds (out of over 150,000 accounts....). To be in the top 100, you need roughly 1,700 finds.

There are 19 LISTED Ark Geocachers with 200 finds. There are 2 listed with over 1000 finds (actually over 1200).

I also noticed quite a few people with a lot of finds that I don't recall being members of ArkGeo. Perhaps somebody could invite them to join? :>

southdeltan

Phantom_491 Guest
    SD,

How often does the G-H-P site get updated? I know for my self it's a little out of date, but only because of the finds I had this past weekend.

I think I read twice a week somewhere on the site...
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

Thats an awsome page I'll have to keep checking on it. Thanks SD.

RuffRidr Guest
    That's a cool site. I had been looking for something like that for awhile, and even considered writing my own (Note: I haven't done any serious programming in several years) but decided against it. I just hope it sticks around and doesn't get whacked by geocaching.com like other similair sites have.

--RuffRidr

PS> Looking at the list, I got a lot of work to do

DarkKnight Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by southdeltan
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight
    I think everyone enjoys running up the numbers, personal opinion of course. That is why I do not go geocaching every week like I used to. I now go when I want to go, like this weekend when it has been nice, at least up until today.

DK
    I'm not sure I understand this...

You say people enjoy running up the numbers so you don't geocache as much as you used to geocache?

If that's what you mean - why not? What do the actions of others have to do with your personal enjoyment?

sd
    Well, a lot of it has to do more with hides than finds, I personally think, and it's my opinion, that with the increase in the number of caches, there are also a HUGE increase in the number of lame caches. I mean didn't I read somewhere on GC.com there should be a purpose to a cache, not just a altoids tin in camo tape threw on the ground for you to have to turn over every leaf to find it. Now, you are probably gonna say, yeah but you don't have to look for it, true also but I think there should be meaning to a cache, not just oh I think I will throw a medicine bottle out here and log the coordinates. It's quality not quantity, that is what really got me turned off on caching, at least as much as I did. I do however take my GPS with me everywhere I go, and I go on several trips up North, and West every year I always try to find caches, when I go somewhere, maybe I should say I get more enjoyment out of caching outside the state of Arkansas.

DK

Oh, and it does get turned into a competition, no matter how you slice it.

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    Dark Knight,
    With all due respect:
    I cache almost exclusively in Arkansas. Maybe that is because I really like Arkansas.

I also go for the quality of the cache, either the difficulty or the view or the interesting online posts about the cache but there is something that draws me other then having one more number. The one that is drawing me now is because of all the “DNFs”. A lot of times I will drive 100-400 miles roundtrip, just for one cache. Some people like to climb, some like to bushwack, some like to scratch their heads and tax their brains, some like to go on marathons and log all they can log in one day or trip, some like having big numbers and will log almost anything (it’s true) and some couldn’t care less about the numbers (also true). Just like some seem to post just to get another number (trolls) and some post when they have something to say (long-winded old men like me).

Each to his own reason I figure. Sort of like opinions I guess, you have yours and I have mine. I’m more then willing to listen to yours and to even consider them if differing from my own as long as there seems to be mutual respect.

It has been my experience, few things will snap an open mind shut quicker then disrespect so I will respect their 1,000 finds if they will respect my 50.

I say judge me by my post and the way I cache, not my numbers, and I will do the same for you .
    That is a generic you, not just a Dark Knight you (don’t dot all your I’s on a BB and you get trashed. Right?).

PS. There are some great caches in Arkansas that are only about the location not the ease or difficulty. Just read the post and you will know.

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    What's one man's trash is another's treasure. What's one man's lame is another's dame. It's that way in Arkansas, it's that way up North and it's that way out West. Use some discretion and choose the caches that suit you and enjoy. I'll do the same. And when the numbers shake out, you all will have more finds than me, but who cares?

OK DK I just came back from Miami,OK on a cache run and I grabbed 28 from 10am til dark about 5:30 and up there a 2 star is a 1 star here. I also found a 3 star in less than a min wich down here would have been a 1 star also. When I started caching in Feb of 2004 I set a goal of 500 in a year and I'm at 370 . This goal has taken me into 10 different states,AR,OK,MO,TX,CA,FL,TN,MS,AL,KS. I will add 3 or 4 more states by the end of the year. So if this is a competition lets do it on states,come now just going out and finding caches is the easy part SEEING other states now thats the fun part. As for lame caches MOST of my finds are here in the state of Arkansas and for lame I have not seen very many LAME caches. The caches in Miami,OK they wern't lame but very easy. So in that 7 or so hours I traveled all over a NEW town and found 28 new caches. On Competition who am I trying to catch? I don't know either. I do it because I have a personal goal and with no new caches in my area I have to travel atleast 2 hours to find new caches and I love it I do it on the weekend and the 3 kids and the wife go with me. The only competition I have is TRYING to beat the kids out of the truck and find the cache before them.

OK I'm off my soap box.