Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition, Friction or Good ole fashion caching

Geezer_Veazey Guest

Re: My way?

Quote Originally Posted by demonicangel
    Oops..... did I just give away my age?
    You didn't give anything away to be ashamed of. I'm from the Jimmy Durante era.

twooldcrows Guest
    Congratulations demonicangel on your 500 find and many more.

demonicangel Guest
    Thanks twooldcrows!!
    My goal for this year was to pass the 500 mark, but since it is still so early in the year I think I'm going to go ahead and try for 600. With all the caches in Little Rock just a few more trips will probablly do it. But for now I have my eye on the Summit of Sugarloaf Mountain. One of our dear friends (you know who you are) got the FTF on that one and left one of the White Jeep TB's up there. But with a 4/5 rating it's just begging me to come rescue it. Do you think you might be interested in going after this cache with us sometime?

twooldcrows Guest

temptation

It is a great temptation alright... but we are going to wait for cooler weather to discourage snakes and chiggers. Thanks for the invite.

demonicangel Guest
    Ah, Ok, but keep us in mind. Cause I don't expect that we will be going after it anytime real soon either. I would like to wait for a little bit cooler weather before I attempt that.
    Those types of caches are the ones I love to get in fall and winter

twooldcrows Guest
    We’re Sorry…

We owe everyone in ARGeocaching Org an apology… We are sorry if we offended anyone it was not our intention. Our ideas didn’t come across like we thought they would. We are trying to be better people, life is too short to be contentious with anyone. Thank you all for the privilege of caching in the great state of Arkansas. We are not angry at anyone and we hope that we have not lost friends over this. We only tried to discuss what was on our mind about caching and the purpose of some of the rules. We thought that was what the forum was for to discuss geocaching and to ask questions about things that concerned us. Again our most sincere apologies to all.

twooldcrows, let me just say that forums tend to be pretty impersonal. They also tend to do a terrible job of expressing things like feelings, tone, and emotion. For these reasons, I much prefer talking to someone either in person or on the phone.

Don't get me wrong. I think forums are great for some things (like dissemination of information to a large number of people), but they really stink for other things (like getting to know someone). Hopefully, everyone here recongnizes that forums are just a communication tool. And, as with other tools, they have their purpose. (One wouldn't normally use a screwdriver to drive a nail, for example.)

ANYWAY, now that I've rambled on about that...

I know that it takes courage to make a public apology and I respect that. Also, I'm glad that you choose to be a part of ArkGeo.
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

canoegoddess Guest
    Some rambling thoughts from a cacher that misses ark style caching...
    Hide the caches you like to find. I'm not a big fan of micro PnGs or caches that someone placed on vacation. I'd rather hike 4 miles than 4 ft even on a sticky summer day (yes I'm a little sadistic), so the caches I plan to hide will be a little off the beaten path. And it's okay to challenge yourself or others to compete--just don't be an obnoxious a--hole. Sometimes that's the motivation you need to get yourself off the couch especially when it's the hot/sticky summer season.
    And I don't think any ark cacher qualifies as a true number ho.. I went to a lunchtime event here and by the time we had dinner people were searching for stuff in packs of 20. That just wasn't fun for me and I went home. I mean if the cache is out and found 5 minutes before you get there it really ruins my experience. I enjoy the searching not the logging personally. I think 2-3 vehicles is the max that can be in a geocaravan and still be fun.
    Plus urban areas just lend themselves to more caches because there are more people to hide them. You don't have that in arkansas it's too small and rural, and people are actually courteous cachers. Half the caches I've found here have been modified by the previous finder to make them easier. Why would I hike 4 miles to get something I can see from a quarter-mile away? People seem to preserve and respect the effort put into the cache by the previous hider more in arkansas, and I definetly miss that.
    Also cachers all have different resources. I'm a grad student with a pt job. That's a situation doesn't lend itself to lots of numbers/time, just because I haven't found it, doesn't mean I don't want to.
    Oh and if anyone is planning to make a trip to Tampa/St. Pete or Tallahassee I can hook you up with some must-do caches. Actually I know people that cache all over Florida, but those are the only 2 areas that I can personally make recommendations for.
    And sorry if I've ever offended anybody, I tend to get cranky when I get dehydrated and hungry. I hope to make up for it if I can when I come home for X-mas.

NatureFish Guest

Growth

SD posted, way back in this thread (January)
    I find it amazing to know that the number one cacher has 7800 finds.
    She's the Energizer bunny of geocaching, now has 11,000 plus finds and still going! I have cached with her several times and can tell you she enjoys every cache!

Isn't it interesting that this game offers something for everyone - every geocacher can cache when, where and how they want, making this the friendliest and most inclusive game in the world!

A geocacher with 50 finds is every bit the equal of one with 11,000! Men, women, children, singles, families or groups - whatever turns you on! Now that's inclusive!

Geocaching.com's home page shows
    There are 194455 active caches in 217 countries.
    And, with all that explosive growth, I don't think I have met a cache or cacher I didn't like!

Y'all have fun,
    NF

Horseshoe-cachers Guest
    Being new to this sport/addiction I guess I may be missing the point. I thought that it was to get out and see new places, places that I would not have known about if it was not for geocaching. The cache is just an excuse to get outdoors and see something new.