Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition, Friction or Good ole fashion caching

twooldcrows Guest

Competition, Friction or Good ole fashion caching

We often think we are in competition with each other when in truth we are only competition with ourselves. It seems we sometimes forget that the GAME…. Of geocaching is to enjoy oneself and to find new and beautiful place to hike, picnic, fish whatever... And even though this game has a definite pull to those of us with OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) Ha Ha…. We sometime forget that in the grand scheme of things we are the only one who really cares how many caches we have or how many FTF we get or how many categories we have. But it is hard not to think you are competition against someone else. If that is the reason you are geocaching then you might want to think again… We should always remember this is suppose to be good clean fun for families not an obsession we have to beat a certain number or get to a certain cache faster than anyone else.. Remember dear cachers this is supposed to be for your entertainment and enjoyment.. Relax just do some ole fashion caching and catch a grin at all the wondrous beauty around you and remember to enjoy …No one is keeping score unless you are.
    g

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    Amen! Preach on.

Thanks for this post. I'll admit that I get some satisfaction out of watching the numbers go up when I find a few caches. But it's clear that we aren't in a hurry (just take a look at our numbers and how long we've been members...)

I've known of a handful of people that have experienced "burn-out" after just a year or so. It's easy to do if you take things too fast. I agree, just relax and enjoy the hobby.
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

DarkKnight Guest
    I think everyone enjoys running up the numbers, personal opinion of course. That is why I do not go geocaching every week like I used to. I now go when I want to go, like this weekend when it has been nice, at least up until today.

DK

Running up the numbers what are you talking about. My numbers are high because I like to get out of the house and see nature.Also since I travel for work I get to see more places.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

Phantom_491 Guest

Playing the Numbers Game

When I think about all that geocaching has brought me (Friends, Fitness, Memories, Closer relationship with my kids), I realize that this isn't just about the numbers. Even though I've been caching for a little under a year and have 250+ finds, doesn't mean I'm in it for the numbers, It just means that I'm very active, and I've found something I enjoy.

This Sport/Game/Recreational activity has taken me places that I'd have never visited or even known about on my own. It combines 2 or my favorite things Computers/Internet, & Outdoors/hiking. It also gives me a break when on road trips. I plan my trip, then look and see if there are any caches within a couple miles of my proposed route.

I might make a fuss about milestones reached, but that doesn't mean I'm doing it for the numbers. If that were the case, I'm sure that my numbers would be higher.

*Steps off his soapbox, puts it away, and goes back to his coloring books*

AMEN phanton
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

thenaturenurd Guest

Quality vs. Quantity

As twooldcrows said Geocaching is a Game. The rules are kind of open ended...you have alot of freedom as to how you play it. I love it cause it gets me out in nature...my first love and because I can interact with technology (my second love) as Phantom said.

I say rack up the numbers...but remember why caches are put there in the first place to bring you to an interesting area. Im still new to this game/sport but I am loving it. Thanks to all of you out there that I have met so far and I look forward to meeting more of you soon.

Happy Caching in 2005 to everyone...

Craig

southdeltan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight
    I think everyone enjoys running up the numbers, personal opinion of course. That is why I do not go geocaching every week like I used to. I now go when I want to go, like this weekend when it has been nice, at least up until today.

DK
    I'm not sure I understand this...

You say people enjoy running up the numbers so you don't geocache as much as you used to geocache?

If that's what you mean - why not? What do the actions of others have to do with your personal enjoyment?

I have several friends that have several hundred finds more than me (one has 1300 finds more than me) and their totals have never made me not want to geocache.

And don't get me wrong - if I couldn't keep track of my finds I probably wouldn't geocache. I think it's totally about the numbers because every number = a fun experience. The more numbers I have, the more fun I've had.

I've cached much less since Dan's stats site went down. Most of my geocacher friends have as well. I can't say that I've had more fun, since I've cached less. I haven't enjoyed the caches I've found any more or less than I would If I'd found more caches. This new ranking site by the Grand-High-Pobah looks interesting, now I'll have to get in the habit of checking it every now and then.

sd

Quote Originally Posted by southdeltan
    This new ranking site by the Grand-High-Pobah looks interesting,
    Are you talking about keenpeople or something else that I haven't found yet?
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile