Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition, Friction or Good ole fashion caching

Numbers are for NURDS in glasses.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

Phantom_491 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by arkansas_stickerdude
    Numbers are for NURDS in glasses.
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Seriously, I like many others have stated am only in competition with myself. Sometimes I might stir the pot but telling others I am catching up with them, but I don't care one way or another.

I set a goal for myself and try to make that goal. Usually it's making a milestone, (100, 200, etc) by a certain date or making an event a milestone.

Sometimes I fall short because life throws a curve, or I set too aggresive a goal (40 caches in 2 weeks).

To me the numbers are just a way for me to reflect on what I have accomplished.

My .02 cents.

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    I head to a cache for differing reasons, the country drive, the number of DNFs, the walk through the woods, etc. but most often the key to what gets my interest is what is said in the online logs about the cache, although me and LIL_SISTER once drove to Tunica just to drop off a TB and help it get home. If either of us were concerned about our numbers we could have found a lot of caches in the 6 hrs of driving (and of course the 2 hrs of playing slots) instead of just getting one find out of it. I once spent a whole day doing “Forked mountain falls” so it’s the adventure…it’s the challenge…it’s an excuse to stop working drop the top and drive through the countryside….it’s spending time in Arkansas’ Great Outdoors…..it’s taking someone and seeing their face when they actually find a treasure…it’s…well it’s a lot of things and sometimes it’s been all of these things but for me, it has never been about the numbers.

Your mileage may vary of course and if it does I wish you Big numbers.

thenaturenurd Guest

Setting Goals

Today was my 30th Birthday. I had set a goal to try and reach 100 by today. Didnt quite make it but I got close. If it wasnt for work I would have made it easy. I have truly enjoyed each one I have done and saved one in my own backyard for my 75th one. I found the infamous travelbug prison. It is tucked way back in a cave in the Madison County WMA. This also happens to be about 5 miles from my house and the first cache I ever looked for when I started back in November 2004. If I am not working and not doing honey-dos for my wife, you will find me doing either geocaching or caving. I love both! This was a great way to get me to see both. I figure the more caches I get to the more cool places I get to visit. Luckily I am off next 3 days, I hope I can break 100 by Friday. If I do great, if not there is still more time to get out there.

I have also kept pace with finding benchmarks almost as much as I have caches. Geo TB1 and made a pretty cool trek a few weeks back to find the Highest Benchmark in Arkansas. The MAG triangulation station which was set in 1928. It was there and in great shape. Either way if I am caching or benchmarking I am enjoying the trip and each find is a new milepost or place I have been. I look forward and back to them all.

Craig

twooldcrows Guest
    We accomplished one of our goals in geocaching. 500 caches. The Ape cache, Earthcache and 16-categories. We will write about it in the Adventure section. We wrote this article in this section, because we where concern about our area and our good friends and geocachers. We enjoy our Geocaching meeting and meeting many wonderful geocachers. We know that truth hurts, we do respect everyone’s opinion. We do have competition among us, it got so bad that we over heard one geocacher say the reason they are putting hard to find caches is to get even with other geocachers. Is this what some people call challenging?. We don’t think this is fun we call this competition and friction among us. Competition (with ourselves or others) is so bad that some of us put our families in jeopardy. When you are not including your family, spouses, kids and grand kids it can in some cases friction in the family, hope no divorces. Sandi keep telling me she might start a support group for Widow of geocaching at geocachers .org. (If somebody is interested finding 1000 caches in one month checkout any big metropolitan area). Geocaching is supposed to be an enjoyable good family fun, treasure hunting in interesting places or solving a hard to decode puzzle. Why not put all this energy in putting more caches in central and south of Arkansas and where the geocahers passing by our State can enjoy them too. I’m sure that a lot of geocachers enjoys doing the ones in Interstate 40, Clarksville, Little Rock and surrounding area. We enjoy all the caches and learn something from all of them. Some caches are challenging, scary, easy ones, puzzling ones, adrenalin building ones, good hiking ones, historical and many fun ones. We should all make Arkansas the best geocaching adventure for everyone. Maybe we would like to see more of different categories in our State. We have one cam cache in our State, how about few more like Letter boxes, Earthcaches, we do have a wonderful State with a lot of beauty to be proud of and a lot to show out of state cachers. We do enjoy doing out of State caches, there is a lot to see and do and learning the history of this wonderful, beautiful country. Thank you very much. Happy Caching to all and to all a good night.

Quote Originally Posted by twooldcrows
    We accomplished one of our goals in geocaching. 500 caches. The Ape cache, Earthcache and 16-categories. We will write about it in the Adventure section. We wrote this article in this section, because we where concern about our area and our good friends and geocachers. We enjoy our Geocaching meeting and meeting many wonderful geocachers. We know that truth hurts, we do respect everyone’s opinion. We do have competition among us, it got so bad that we over heard one geocacher say the reason they are putting hard to find caches is to get even with other geocachers. Is this what some people call challenging?. We don’t think this is fun we call this competition and friction among us. Competition (with ourselves or others) is so bad that some of us put our families in jeopardy. When you are not including your family, spouses, kids and grand kids it can in some cases friction in the family, hope no divorces. Sandi keep telling me she might start a support group for Widow of geocaching at geocachers .org. (If somebody is interested finding 1000 caches in one month checkout any big metropolitan area). Geocaching is supposed to be an enjoyable good family fun, treasure hunting in interesting places or solving a hard to decode puzzle. Why not put all this energy in putting more caches in central and south of Arkansas and where the geocahers passing by our State can enjoy them too. I’m sure that a lot of geocachers enjoys doing the ones in Interstate 40, Clarksville, Little Rock and surrounding area. We enjoy all the caches and learn something from all of them. Some caches are challenging, scary, easy ones, puzzling ones, adrenalin building ones, good hiking ones, historical and many fun ones. We should all make Arkansas the best geocaching adventure for everyone. Maybe we would like to see more of different categories in our State. We have one cam cache in our State, how about few more like Letter boxes, Earthcaches, we do have a wonderful State with a lot of beauty to be proud of and a lot to show out of state cachers. We do enjoy doing out of State caches, there is a lot to see and do and learning the history of this wonderful, beautiful country. Thank you very much. Happy Caching to all and to all a good night.

AMEN WHAT HE SAID
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

twooldcrows Guest
    Geocaching is not a team sport to insult others, it is a individual fun sport. There is no such thing as lame caches or numbers. We will find caches from easy to challenging ones for all ages. Thank you grandkid 38 and other cache box owners for placing caches for kids. They really enjoyed it. Each caches owner placement are proud of their placement. In this thread you will find insulting and many sharp thongs. We would like to be the first one to apology if we did insulted or hurt any cachers or any groups like in Clarksville, AR. or Miami, OK. This time we will stay away from this type of forum or threads

demonicangel Guest
    Ok, I have been following the posts for a while now but haven't said much, but I figured now would be as good a time as any and this thread a good place to put it, LOL

I totally agree with twooldcrows, this is not a competition in any shape, form or fashion. I'm not trying to beat anyone out. I guess that's why I get along with most everyone (at least I think I get along with everyone )

I am so very happy for everyone when they cross over those memorable milestone caches... even if it is way ahead of where I am at? Why? Because I'm not trying to beat them out.

This is similar to another thread I saw a while back... urban v/s rural caches. There are so many different caches and way to cache because there are so many different types of cachers out there. And there is no way everyone is going to like the same stuff. We even change what we go after from day to day. Some days we want to rack up the numbers with easy ones. Some days we want to rack our minds with ultra hard urban caches, and some days we want to test our endruance and go after those that take all day to get one. It's part of the game.

So, let's all just do it our way and not fight? Please? *sits in corner, rocking, humming the tune to Elvis' "My Way"*

thenaturenurd Guest

My way?

Wasnt it Frank Sinatra who did my way...

demonicangel Guest

Re: My way?

Quote Originally Posted by arparkguy
    Wasnt it Frank Sinatra who did my way...
    He may have originally... but I'm from the Elvis era and he did have a version of it. LOL

Oops..... did I just give away my age?