Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Competition, Friction or Good ole fashion caching

NatureFish Guest

Point

That's exactly the point I was trying to express - geocaching is whatever you want it to be! That's not to say there is no point, but rather that it's different for all of us!

The point of the game for me is the people - meeting and having fun with folks, going places and seeing things I would never see otherwise. I rarely cache alone anymore, and the cache itself is much less important than the adventures I have while on the hunt. I like being involved in and contributing to the geocaching community. The point of the game for you is likely to be completely different. That's cool!

Casual exercize, a full-blown addiction, light-pole micros or 10-mile hikes, a numbers game or not, benchmarks, waymarks, individual or group - whatever you like is what the game is for you and you don't answer to anyone for how you like to play it!

Over the years I have climbed mountain trails that took all day to get one cache, and have reached out the car window to get caches that took less than one minute, and everything imaginable between those extremes!

I like 'em all; other people settle on a favorite type or style. The PQ configuration and Ignore functions were built specifically so you can just see the types you like.

Some people use numbers for markers, others use memories of fun caches.

I logged maybe 1500 and then quit logging all but the ones that need maintenance or were in some other way notable. Having 3-400 I haven't logged I now vacilate, depending on my mood and time available, as to whether I log them or not. I attended an event this weekend that included a tournament for 45 caches - I logged the event but likely won't log all the caches - it's all up to you how you do that.

Again - it's completely up to the cacher as to how you play and what you enjoy. What other game can make that claim?

Black Knight Guest

Re: responce

Quote Originally Posted by demonicangel
    You can sure count The Griswolds in that group. I'm sure we wouldn't have gotten into this game as much as we have if we hadn't discovered Clarksville early in our caching careers.

Now on to the subject of numbers.

But I have also encountered a problem. A close friend of ours who we got into caching (no, not Beerhog, he got us into it) has gotten into the number thing. For him, he is in a competition with everyone else. In fact he goes so far as to call and brag when he passes someone else. Anyways what he has started doing now is they will go to a town with a lot of caches and he will go in one direction while his wife goes in another, both hitting caches so they can claim more finds when the day is over. Now I could let this bother me, or I could let it roll off me. I choose to let it roll off me cause the fact remains that he is only cheating himself, and trying to drag me into his little game. If I let it work, then it is my own fault. Angel and I find the pleasure of the hunt in spending time together and time with the kids.
    [/quote]
    What in the world is the point of someone going one direction in a town and their wife, girlfriend, significant other going the other direction in town????
    Oh Yeah to rack up numbers......Dang I am going to get everyone I know give them a GPS and tell them to get to tracking those geocaches, that sounds like fun. Anyone doing that in my opinion is missing the point of the game.

DK

Geezer_Veazey Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight
    What in the world is the point of someone going one direction in a town and their wife, girlfriend, significant other going the other direction in town????
    Oh Yeah to rack up numbers......Dang I am going to get everyone I know give them a GPS and tell them to get to tracking those geocaches, that sounds like fun. Anyone doing that in my opinion is missing the point of the game.

DK
    DK, in your opinion what is the point of the game?

Geezer.

Black Knight Guest

[quote=Geezer_Veazey]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Black Knight":3ot19w0t

DK
    DK, in your opinion what is the point of the game?

Geezer.[/quote:3ot19w0t]My signature answers that question. It sure isn't for me to go one way and my wife,buddy, or hound dog to go another and then log all of the caches under one name, I mean come on just because a member of my entourage happens to find a cache in a town, I shouldn;t log that cache as a find. I mean if they are going to actively hunt caches, then they should get their own name so the cache count would go up under their own name.

Let me bottom line it for you. Two people go into the woods to cache. There are 10 caches in the woods. If the two people split up and do 5 a piece they should each have their own name and log 5 a piece. Neither person visited all 10 so neither person should claim all 10, AND if one person happens to not have an account on geocaching.com, well then the person with the account on geocaching.com should log the caches they found, and not the ones the other person found. When I go caching, I go with friends, or family, they don't have a name on geocaching.com. They go with me because it is.......................hold on now................

God ITS FUN to go TOGETHER, now don't tell anyone that the secret to this game is having FUN and spending time with people you actually enjoy spending time with. (That's a secret now promise not to tell anyone.) I guess for these people who go to town and send their wife, girlfriend, or significant other one way and they go the opposite, really doesn't enjoy spending time with that person. At least that's the way I see it.

Have fun, go together, and see the world.

DK

Geezer_Veazey Guest

Amen, Amen, Amen. I agree with you 100 percent. And you can check out my profile and cache count and see it is true.

I can also see where someone could easily find huge numbers of caches. I visited my son in Dallas last year and I think there were over a thousand caches within a 10 mile circle. And there are many other cities like Dallas. I think I found 2 while I was there just so I would have it on the record that I was in Dallas, but I could have easily found a hundred or more on that visit.

It doesn't bother me at all that some people have large numbers of finds. And it doesn't even matter how they got those numbers If they cache every day, if they cache in concentrated areas, if they take the whole family and go in different directions, even if they falsify the numbers, it don't matter. It's no skin off of my back.

It puzzles me that you say numbers don't matter to you, but yet you go on and on about numbers. I can't make myself believe you are trying to intentionally rile up the people in Clarksville.

Live and let live. Don't let yourself be bothered by something so trivial.

Happy Geocaching

Geezer

Black Knight Guest

[quote=Geezer_Veazey]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Black Knight":gpwmp2sa
    Amen, Amen, Amen. I agree with you 100 percent. And you can check out my profile and cache count and see it is true.

It puzzles me that you say numbers don't matter to you, but yet you go on and on about numbers. I can't make myself believe you are trying to intentionally rile up the people in Clarksville.

Live and let live. Don't let yourself be bothered by something so trivial.

Happy Geocaching

Geezer[/quote:gpwmp2sa] Why can you not believe that Geezer? I just want to hear the secret from the big 3. Oh, and of all the reasons you mentioned, highly concentrated areas, or if you send 15 different people in one direction, or if they have more money than they know what to do with and cache everyday. None of those things bother me, well I would LOVE to have enough money to cache everyday that would be cool, BUT faking numbers, well there is a small word I kinda like to live by its called INTEGRITY I try to teach it to my kids, that is part of whats wrong with the world today. One thing about it IF the big 3 don't have it, that kinda tells you what goes on in Clarksville doesn't it.
    (By the way to the moderators, I did not say ANYONE was lying about cache finds, I was simply replying to Geezers comments)

Geezer_Veazey Guest

I just want to hear the secret from the big 3.
    I guess if I were into numbers I would want to know the secret also.

Black Knight Guest

[quote=Geezer_Veazey]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Black Knight":l6szr8eo
    I just want to hear the secret from the big 3.
    I guess if I were into numbers I would want to know the secret also.[/quote:l6szr8eo]
    LMAO whatever dude.........

How about this: From the geocaching.com guidelines,

Cache Maintenance
    The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

As the cache owner, you are also responsible for physically checking your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.). You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to hunt for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. This feature is to allow you a reasonable time – normally a few weeks – in which to arrange a visit to your cache. In the event that a cache is not being properly maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an extended period of time, we may archive or transfer the listing.

Cache Saturation
    The reviewers use a rule of thumb that caches placed within .10 miles (528 feet or 161 meters) of another cache may not be listed on the site. This is an arbitrary distance and is just a guideline, but the ultimate goal is to reduce the number of caches hidden in a particular area and to reduce confusion that might otherwise result when one cache is found while looking for another.

There are several caches in the Clarksville area, with obviously more planned for the next big get together, that are closer than the .10 miles.
    Also, it is the cache owners job to maintain the caches, It's not like you can just S*** out caches and let them grow daisys.

Does anyone else find it funny that the big 3 don't seem to comment on these things, maybe they just have the groupies do it for them.

DK

Does anyone else find it funny that the big 3 don't seem to comment on these things, maybe they just have the groupies do it for them.
    Or maybe they would rather spend their time making geocaching better in Arkansas. DK, you are very close to making this personal. I think you know that. Please stay away from personal attacks. (How many times will I have to say this?)
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

Black Knight Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gaddiel
    Or maybe they would rather spend their time making geocaching better in Arkansas. DK, you are very close to making this personal. I think you know that. Please stay away from personal attacks. (How many times will I have to say this?)
    I have mentioned NO names, all I have mentioned is the "big 3" That could be three big mice in the barn, I have SPECIFICALLY NOT mentioned any names to AVOID it being personal towards anyone. Funny thing to me, ALL I asked for was a response.....Thats it, a response and I shut up about it. People read they just don't want to justify their finds with a reply to the secret of how they have 15, 000 finds.....thats all I want.

DK