Thread: What is needed/wanted?

photojunky Guest

What is needed/wanted?

This is another one of those greenhorn questions. I set out some caches in places that I wanted people to see, ones I consider interesting but very rural. Now in hindsight I know that I needed to place lead in caches so that people would find enough caches to feel like it was worth the trip. So my question is...how many caches do I need to set out on a route to bring you to a backwood cache?

chimps8mybaby Guest
    If it's a nice place, you won't need bread crumbs or a carrot on a stick.

astrodav Guest

Re: What is needed/wanted?

Quote Originally Posted by photojunky
    ...how many caches do I need to set out on a route to bring you to a backwood cache?
    One.

If it's a good spot .... waterfall, rock quarry, spring, CCC structure, etc., that's the big draw, not the cache. But the cache is nice "icing", so a really good place like these needs an ammo-can, not a 35mm plastic tube.

We have more than once spent all day finding one cache because the place was such a long way in... We had no bread crumbs, but have found that if you want a large number of cachers to find the cache bread crumbs help get them in.
    “There aren’t enough days in the weekend.”
    Rod Schmidt

astrodav Guest
    That is true.

If it's a really nice cache .... or even sometimes a mini-cache, as long as it's in a really nice location, I'll go out of my way for that single lonesome cache ............. but I won't refuse the ones along the way either. And those MIGHT just help me make up my mind to do that 57-mile uphill hike just a little sooner than I intended to.