Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It isn't about the numbers, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by astrodav
    Might want to check GS guidelines on that before you do it. Just a heads-up, 'cause I don't want anyone getting in trouble. I'm no coder for sure, so don't know the exacts .... but I do know some approximates.

Heard rumours GS wasn't very cool with "scraping" data from their site. I assume that means an automated robot data gathering thingy which mines for data like that.
    What is the difference for me determining "who" found my caches versus "whose" caches I found

pshelto Guest

data collection

I would think GSAK would be the route to go through. I am going to check their coding and see how they do it. It may turn out, astrodav, that they DO require some sort of license, so I will have to check into that. However, I would think for personal use, it might not be an issue. I will have to reread my user agreement on the site and see what I agreed to.

Hey guys, I'm not at a computer right now (this is coming from the Blackberry), but I'm pretty sure that GSAK already does this. I am positive that somones does, because I have seen this on some profiles before. I even had a discussion with a cacher from another state that my caches were in their top five most found, even though they live hundreds of miles away. Your new trail will provide you with some similar results. Now if I could just remember where I saw that.
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!!

Quote Originally Posted by QuartzCachers
    Hey guys, I'm not at a computer right now (this is coming from the Blackberry), but I'm pretty sure that GSAK already does this. I am positive that somones does, because I have seen this on some profiles before. I even had a discussion with a cacher from another state that my caches were in their top five most found, even though they live hundreds of miles away. Your new trail will provide you with some similar results. Now if I could just remember where I saw that.
    Yes, I can see that indeed you are in my top #4 (QuartzCachers 128 finds or 7.72 % of caches found) cachers whose caches I have found with a GSAK Macro. I was just curious who has found the most of my caches and how many times my caches have been found.

Yeah, it will do that too. Check out those folks who came and visited my trail from Maine. Lexmano is their caching name, and they have on their profile, both who has found their caches, and whose caches thay have found. Now if I could just figure out how to load all that cool info on my profile.
    BTW, I am very proud to be number four on your finds list. You only need to come find 36 more of mine for me to be numero uno. As soon as I get enough hidden, I'll holler at you, so you can come get enough to have QC as your number one cache provider.
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!!

Bruce,
    Thats all done with a GSAK macro. It can generate all kinds of interesting bits of info.

Thanks to you both QuartzCachers and BSA534. I had hoped GSAK had a macro to do such, but with the dozens of macros available as add-ons tonight after trying several I was unable to come up with the right one. As a last ditch effort I emailed Lexmano to ask him:

Greetings from Arkansas! A while back you made a trip through Arkansas caching and joined up with ArkGeo. You have again come up in the forums under a discussion about statistics and specifically your profile page. QuartzCachers posted that your profile page provided specifics about what cachers had found 'your' caches. If you don't mind me asking which GSAK macro did you use to get this information and how did you do it? I've looked through the dozens and dozens of available macros and wasn't able to figure out which one you used. This will help a lot of us Arkansans out who are trying to get statistics on our hides we have out. Thank you in advance for your help!

Thanks again.

arkfiremedic
    Justin Murphree

Lexmano Guest

Nice to be remembered!

Nice to get an e-mail form Arkansas! We had a great trip and lunch with Bruce and Denise? was definitely a highlight!

The stats you want are part of the capability of the FindStatGen macro by Lingmuaqua. When you set up your options you ask for stats on your placed caches.

Go to the GSAK help forums, the Macro help area and you will find an FAQ area on the stats program and this topic is covered. It can take awhile to get it set up right, but after that just keep updating your GSAk database on your hides and it will be there every time you run the stats generator.

I think of you guys from time to time. On April 1, 2010 a group of folks hid 111 caches in a remote series of roads in Waldo county Maine intending them to be published as an April fool's day bash. One of the hiders let it slip to my brother-in-law (assuming since we live two hours away we were not factors in the FTF frenzy). Well we got to a wi fi hot spot by 5AM and the publisher let them go. Our out of town FTF poaching trip resulted in 105 finds, 86 FTF's and 6 DNF's.

My wife and I leave for Denver Thursday to complete the Mountain states. Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana and Utah. That will leave me with DC. Delaware, North and South Carolina, Alaska and Hawaii. We will get Alaska in early June and the East coast in August. Then we got to get to Hawaii before my brother-in-law!

Cache On!