Thread: Very Interesting Information

Very Interesting Information

I was witness yesterday to some pretty interesting information while at the
    Fourth Annual Lake D'Arbonne Saturday in the Park at Lake D'Arbonne State Park near Farmerville, Louisiana (GC236RZ). There was a contest no different from the closest to the pin GPS contest at Lake Ouachita last year. They had set up a similar contest at the event. You will never guess what GPS/phone won all the prizes. Not a Garmin, Magellen, or enter other expensive GPSr here. First and Third went to a Droid Smart Phone and Second went to a Motorola Slide. I wasn't far with my iPhone, but I wasn't in the money. Just thought this was very interesting and someone else might think it interesting as well.

That *IS* interesting. Makes me wonder what they used to set the pin!

Probably a Droid SmartPhone. At least the chips algorithm would be the same as the "winning" GPSrs.

No matter which way you slice it, a handheld GPS / iPhone is only accurate to within 3 to 10 meters.

They did go into a long story of how they averaged multiple averaged weighpoints over a long period of time with a Garmin 60CSX.

majii Guest
    I've enjoyed caching with my Droid.

I always thought it would be interesting to have someone who has access to some contracter grade equipment from trimble or someone else like military grade to set the initial pin and see what gets closest.

Quote Originally Posted by jclaudii
    I always thought it would be interesting to have someone who has access to some contracter grade equipment from trimble or someone else like military grade to set the initial pin and see what gets closest.
    They actually did this at one of the Clarksville events a few years ago and if I remember correctly the Garmins were the most accurate. However, all of the flags were off in the same general direction.

Anyone on here a surveyor? If so reply because we could use your help at an event near you!

I think that clarksville event may have been the first one we ever went too and I remember thinking the garmin's were all grouped pretty close together.

Is there still a programmed "offset" on the signals causing the accuracy to be off?