Thread: Changing Cache Names.

astrodav Guest

Changing Cache Names.

This is actually more of a question for GroundSpeak, but thought I'd ask it here just in case someone had already done it. Ya'll is more friendlier folks anyways.

Anyone who has done my "Old Hwy 10" series has probaly realized that the numbers are horribly messed up. Although QC1 (or is he #2?) hid about half of those, the numbers deal is entirely my fault, brought about by having never set out a power-trail before.

It really shouldn't matter. Just start at one end, find the next cache, & go all the way to the other. But I completely understand that how it is set up COULD be confusing insome instances.

CptCooder informed me that the logs are almost full. (On a side-note, thanks to all who have cached the trail. I never realized that it's averaged almost 1 cacher every other day for 2 months. And that from a trail that I wasn't very pleased with anyway .... not your end Bruce, those are fine. ) So I need to make some more logs to go replace all of them at once.

Out of curiosity, I decided to test what happens if you change the name of a cache. So I changed my "8 Seconds in Plainview" to "Eight Seconds in Plainview", then went to the profile of someone who had found that cache, & everything was cool there .... the name change showed up on his profile.

By doing this, I could change the numbers of this route to be 1,2,3, etc., rather than 1,2,33,10. The old logs have the bad numbers on them, so I don't want to do that with those logs. Sure, the caches "camo" also have the bad numbers, but I can easily fix that also. I think the accurate #'ing system would be better for all of us.

But can anyone think of ANY possible negative event this might cause? I've already ruled out people's profiles. The name-change works on those. The only thing I can think of is that it would temporarily mess up the names on people's stats, that some of us post on our profiles. But as soon as they re-did the next PQ on those, the new names would automatically change over.

Anyone think of anything else this might mess up, before I go and do it?

Ashallond Guest
    It'll make my thursday run nice and simple to keep track of what numbers I have done.

Dave, just the front of the log sheets are full, and that was only on two of the logs that I signed. There was still room for a few more sigs on the front of the rest of the logs, and the backs of all of the logs were empty for sigs. Unless you just have something against a double-sided log, most of them are only "half-full."

As far as the numbers thing, I'm anal-retentive (i.e., OCD personality disorder, organized) enough to appreciate your anxiety, but truthfully, it really doesn't matter (to me, the cache finder). By far, the easiest thing to do would be to fill in the gaps. Say, put a #8 out. Surely there must be a place to do that.

Ashallond Guest
    And wait until AFTER thursday as I've alrady made my 'flight plan' for my cache run on thursday.

astrodav Guest
    It'll definitely be later than that. If I do rename them, then I'll have to print new labels. The log-sheets are also printed with the #'s, rather than just written in. And my printer is fresh out of black ink. You'd think that still having Cyan, Magenta, & Yellow left (or whatever colors they use), it could still make COLORS. But nope. Still needs the black to look right.

The new cartridges should be here late this week.

......or I could just claim that every one of them was stolen & archive them. Log replacement problem solved.

I'm with cooder on this one. It really didn't matter the number of the cache when my daughter and I 'flew' through. I understand your concern, but as soon as I checked the cache 'found' on my GPS it went away as did the number of the cache. When I got to the end of the trail (#1 in my case) I stopped and went to another cache. No probs here. Thanks for all of 'em.