Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ArkGeo 2010- will you be there Friday?

TinmanJones Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by arkfiremedic
    Quote Originally Posted by TinmanJones
    Before you and I help with the event, I was hoping we could get an early start on the BSA trail and knock those out and get all the caches on it! It is only somewhere between 13 and 14 miles. I'm ready, are you?
    count a brother in!
    I'm not kidding. Are you sure you could hang?
    well, seeing as how I know nothing about it, I'll say no, I probably can't hang! but I'll look into it & think about wether or not I can hike 14 miles!
    any ropes involved? not sure I'm up for repelling!

Nope, no repelling (banned in the State Parks). We could cut out the Seven Hollows trail (I've already completed it) and save several miles. There is several caches on it as well. So really maybe less than ten without that part of the trail. Four-Five hours depending on how long it takes us to find the caches. SURELY you can handle that??

TinmanJones Guest
    Nope, no repelling (banned in the State Parks). We could cut out the Seven Hollows trail (I've already completed it) and save several miles. There is several caches on it as well. So really maybe less than ten without that part of the trail. Four-Five hours depending on how long it takes us to find the caches. SURELY you can handle that??
    LOL
    SURELY!!! haha

astrodav Guest
    Nope, no repelling (banned in the State Parks).

When did they do that? I've rappelled at Magazine, & done short rappels at Nebo. But that was also several years back, not long after returning to the states. I guess they banned it since then ..... or I was illegal.

(No, actually I was legal, before anyone tries to turn me in for the bounty. Both times where groups & we did get it okayed.)

That kinda stinks. I am within days (or at least WAS) of talking to the supervisor of either Magazine or Petit Jean, to see about getting the okay for a "rope-assisted" cache .... one which would require being roped purely for safety, but still reachable by climbing alone. I figured that might be fun for some of the cachers who are adrenaline-junkies like myself.

Might not be able to get the okay at one of those locations if they have banned rappeling. Rats. Guess I could look into one of the Nat'l Forests & see if they would permit something like that.

AstroDav wrote

That kinda stinks. I am within days (or at least WAS) of talking to the supervisor of either Magazine or Petit Jean, to see about getting the okay for a "rope-assisted" cache .... one which would require being roped purely for safety, but still reachable by climbing alone. I figured that might be fun for some of the cachers who are adrenaline-junkies like myself.
    I can assure you that the Superintendent on Petit Jean would not allow that.
    The safety of his visitors is his top responsibility and he does not want anyone on the trails after dark... and he would really like to catch some climbers in the act
    The rosin(resin whatever it is called) stays on the rock and does not wash off, it is a form of vandalism in the eyes of the Park System.
    He also has told me that no more Physical caches will be allowed on Petit jean.
    Until some are archived he will not approve any more.
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

astrodav Guest
    Guess it just has to do with different supervisors having different opinions about how they want the citizens of the states to enjoy OUR State Parks. Soething like I talked about would quite obviously be highly discouraged for those who aren't skilled climbers. Those who ARE, have the appropriate gear, & know how to use it, are safer at their sport than most people are walking down the sidewalk.

A good example of that is the hang gliding from Mt. Nebo. I'm not sure they still do it, but they did for years. There obviously is, or was, a supervisor in that park which understood that those who pursued that sport knew how to enjoy it safely. I seriously doubt if he would approve a first-timer coming up there with a home-made glider & wanting to jump off the cliff.

Geocaching is a sport like any other, and it also can have the same dangers. There is currently a cache which requires you to acquire a radiation suit & rappell down inside of a deactivated, but still somewhat radioactive nuclear plant containment building. The supervisor of that facility knows that ones who go for that cache are fully aware & prepared for the danger, thus he allows it if you can show you are properly equipped.

That's how it should be in public tax-funded places such as State Parks. Why prevent those who CAN experience the more adventuresome activities from doing that? Not everyone is so inexperienced that they need to stay on the carefully developed trails & always within ear-shot of a Ranger.

But I guess some of our parks are heading in that direction. So I guess we can pretty much write Petit Jean off for anything other than what is already there.

But that's heading off-topic, so I'll bow out of that discussion now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jffok
    If I get my vacation days changed a little, I will be able to come on Friday as well. Maybe we can team up and do some of the park caches.
    I would love to be there early friday to hink with you guys and --but the rental business is like a Z0O on fridays Every body trying to get a car,truck,van,0r a moving truck,so i will be kind of late getting there say about4-5pm friday,i am leaving early from but getting there late ??
    But i look forward in meeting you guys later