Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Ghost-Light of Old Fourche Log-Train -- Pt. I

Quote Originally Posted by TinmanJones
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincooder
    I'm learning. I have a nice Gerber machete.

I may not have lost blood on this one, but I gained terror!
    hahaha

sounds like fun to me!
    Now don't be tellin' no fibs on this here thread. I couldn't even get you to walk the other night to look at the Amy Light

TinmanJones Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by arkfiremedic
    Quote Originally Posted by TinmanJones
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincooder
    I'm learning. I have a nice Gerber machete.

I may not have lost blood on this one, but I gained terror!
    hahaha

sounds like fun to me!
    Now don't be tellin' no fibs on this here thread. I couldn't even get you to walk the other night to look at the Amy Light
    I learned early in life that a "group" is more than two! Two is a "couple", & I'm a little bit uncomfortable with just being a "couple" with you AFM! And especially in the dark!

and THAT my friend ain't no fibbin!

astrodav Guest
    Huummm .... I'm not even goig to try to comment on that discussion above.

ORR made the trek last night (why is everyone doing this thing in the worst weather possible? ) & stated that he DID see the light show up.

He also noted some concerns about the reflecters. Personally, I think his eyes are just failing from old age, but I take pride in my caches & try to make them NOT irritating. So I'll be re-checking this trail within a week or so.

The most curious thing is that both Cooder & ORR said they couldn't see GZ from the last 2 reflecters. I easily could, both in day & night. But since I set this trail up, I also know exactly which tree you have to climb, which vine you have to swing from, & which limb you have to dangle off of in order to get in the correct bodily position. So that, I'm sure, could make a significant difference.

The reflecters on the first easy part are purposely far apart, but I always had the intention of that being temporary also. This is the only part which might see occasional muggle-traffic, via 4-wheeler or foot, and the "Ice" tacks I used wound up to be MUCH easier to see in the daytime than what I hoped. I already have some "Stealth" tacks in the mail (dark brown in day, bright orange at night). Those should be much harder for a muggle to find, thus keeping the trail all to ourselves.

At least the entire first section will be re-done with those within a week or so, whenever they arrive. I'll put those slightly closer together.

Most likely the "Forest" tacks will stay the bright white "Ice" type, since I doubt if a muggle will ever stumble upon those. But I'll add a couple minor waypoints between the ones already out there, in order to make it a bit easier to follow. I'll also try to figure out what's wrong with GZ & re-check a reported descrepancie in the distance & angle of approach for the final.

But don't let that stop you from trying it. It's still entirely do-able & most likely quite a bit easier in clear weather. I know when I was out there, I could often see TWO sets of markers out ahead of me from any one in the forest. But I was also out there in good weather & knew exactly where to look .... might make a difference.