Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AstroCache Event??

astrodav Guest

AstroCache Event??

Just wanted to toss this in the loop to see if there is any interest in it. I haven't saw it done anywhere yet, although it could very well HAVE been.

The idea came to me a few nights ago, on a day when I had found a few caches during daytime, & followed that up with finding a few sky-treasures that night. I wonder if the 2 can be combined. I think they can.

In case anyone hasn't figured it out yet, my handle is a portmanteau of "astronomy" & "david". I am an extremely active amateur astronomer & have been for over 2 decades. (Cooder once thought the "dav" stood for DisAbledVet, which also applies, but that ain't it )

Although VERY early in the "brainstorm" phase, here's the general idea. A good rural location is reserved for an event. Right off the top of my head, Mt. Magazine would be ideal. But I haven't approached the Park Service about this yet. However, I DID approach them a year or so back about hosting a monthly star party up there, & they seemed highly interested. So I don't think that will be an obstacle.

The event could be laid out in 1 of 2 ways. Either starting with eats at around 4 p.m., then some evening caching, finishing up with yours truly giving everyone a guided tour of the night sky with the telescopes in my arsenal. I currently have 4, ranging in size from a 3" to a 12" computer controlled monster. I could easily throw in some other activities also. I hosted an astro-radio show for a couple years, & have been a guest-host for several star parties. I'm full of ideas & these things are really fun, no matter if you are a kiddy or a grandparent.

Or it could be a night-time only event. The schedule would be about the same as above, but starting at around dark. Rather than simple temporary caches, there would be 3 or 4 nice temporary NIGHT caches laid out for the event.

And too, if the interest was there, it could be done as a regular event like what we know, with an entire night section added to the end of it. Around August would be the best time. The weather would probaly be easier to plan around then. Something like this would 100% have to have a clear sky, no rain, & little wind, or the "astro" section would be undoable. A warmish night is also much more comfortable than what we might have at other times of the year.

I'm not going to get into any more details here, since this is just to initially see what interest is out there. Just basically, how many people would be interested in an evening or night caching event, with a mini-Star Party thrown in afterwards, chocked full of hi-tech telescope viewing, sky-stories, & maybe even a nice meteor shower, if it's scheduled on the right night.

Let me know. If it sounds cool to enough people, I'll start tossing around some ideas & plans. Others can help too. Don't be shy....I'm not.

I was with cooder on trying to interpret your name.

I would love an event like this. I have fond memories of my Boy Scout days when we would look at the stars and learn the names of the constellations and I would love for my daughter (seven-years-old) to experience the same thing. I love Mt. Magazine!

ARsearcher Guest
    That sounds like tons of fun astrodave. I would definitely be interested in something like that.

OH WOW AWESOME!!!! I'll bet I could even get geo-j to make a personal appearance for this! COUNT US IN!!!

Ashallond Guest
    I'd be interested. I'm an amateur astronomer myself.

astrodav Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by arkfiremedic
    I was with cooder on trying to interpret your name.

I would love an event like this. I have fond memories of my Boy Scout days when we would look at the stars and learn the names of the constellations and I would love for my daughter (seven-years-old) to experience the same thing. I love Mt. Magazine!

I am a DAV. I served slightly over 13 years & fought in Panama & Kuwait, where an RPG impact scrambled some of my insides up, took my left-side hearing, & shattered my left shoulder. I tried to stay in, but eventually had to retire. But honestly, that "D.A.V." part never even occured to me when I made up that "astrodav" name. I was actually taken by surprise when CptCooder mentioned that several months ago at Russelville. I guess I was just assuming that everyone was suppose to know I was David. AstroDav was simply the nickname I used on the radio shows.

And it's unique too, so I don't have to worry about someone else already having it. Curiously however...I was going to register the domain "astrodav.com" or "astrodavid.com" for an astro-website. Turns out there are at least two other "astronomy davids" in the world, because both were taken. I got stuck with astrodavid.NET. But I never did anything with it, although I do still own it & use it for personal reasons.

Funny you mentioned constellations. That's my main most astro-speciality. I've studied VERY deeply into everything associated with all 88 of them, their history, who made them, when they were made, what they represent, & the mythology involved with each. I taught myself to read Latin, so that I could better understand the untranslated tales written about them centuries ago. This enabled me to give more accurate stories about them on my shows.

But enough of me. I sorta figured this might be a popular idea, since it's so different than any caching event I have saw yet....and it still DOES have caching at it's core. The astronomy part is just a neat extra that we can tack onto the end of it. Everyone in the world likes looking through high quality scopes & learning what something they see every night with their own eyes really is.

So hopefully we can put these 2 things together later in the year. It'll be fun, I can guarentee that.

TheRascals Guest
    Another great idea. This sounds like it will be a great time. I am sure there are many places that this could take place. One good viewing place was Hickory Nut Mt. I am not sure just how much room is there as it was dark when we got on top but the stars were sure pretty. These kind of ideas are what make this group so exciting to be a part or. Thanks for offering to share your talents.

This sounds like a super idea, I have always been fascinated by astronomy, always like looking at the stars, without really knowing what I a looking at!
    Hopefully it would when the weather is a little warmer..

There is quite a bit of room up at Hickory Nut. It would be very convenient to the site of "Harbor Happening in a few weeks. I would love to see some stars and have some things pointed out to me. This has always interested me, but it seems like I always have other stuff to do.
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!!

I hope you can put it together, I have have always wanted a telescope, maybe you can steer me the right way on a middle of the road one...