Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Logging of finds??????

specialteacher Guest

Logging of finds??????

Something has been puzzling me lately. I have noticed an increasing number of cachers that have logged their own hides as finds. I thought that a find was a cache of someone else that you have found. If we give praise to those based on the number of caches found how could logging our own caches be right? How do others feel about this subject?

I hadn't noticed this... I haven't done it and haven't known anyone personally to do it. Kinda takes the fun out of a smiley if your "find" was something you "hid" but that is just my opinion.

I have seen this also and I just look at the cacher who does that and I don't have a lot of respect for them. This is in the Russellville area and I have not seen it in other places unless it was a Newbie(I just figured it was a mistake in that case). On many of occasions I have spent 30 minutes or more to find a cache of mine that was reported missing and when I did find it (if it was there) I thought about logging it, not really. It is just part of being a cache owner and doing maintenance on my caches. I am not the best at maintaining my caches, but I don't log them as finds. A few times I have helped hide a cache for someone else and I don't make a mad dash for a ftf either.

If you are logging your own caches all you are doing is FALSELY bumping your numbers.
    They are lazy and I bet that you don't even unroll a logsheet when they find a cache and just sign the outside of it(We have all seen some cachers do this).
    Further more those cachers really don't look on this website and that is fine with me, I don't want to associate with them for this and other reasons.
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

We have not noticed an increase in the number of cachers who log their own caches as found but we are very aware of two cachers in your area who log their own caches as found. Plus, one of these cachers logs his own caches as found multiple times under the guise of maintenance or whatever, and he logs other's caches that he finds multiple times. And he logs caches as found when he doesn't sign the logs. Folks, that's just not the way to play the game...in our opinion at least.

Don't know what we can do about cachers logging their own caches as found but you can surely delete the logs when a cacher logs your cache without signing the log or logs it as found multiple times.

This is just our two cents worth. What does everyone else think?

edieo Guest
    I agree I had a problem with a new cacher that logged one of my caches twice I delete it ,,He relogged I explain ,I deleted it again he relogged it again this went for a while ,,every time I delete I explain ,,finally after about six times he didn't relog again ,,He didn't know any better ,,the others do!!

I am pretty sure that we have made a mistake or two ( or several) while playing this game. Most due to not knowing what we were doing, being totally over our heads with the technology, or maybe just a simple error of not double checking our logs and numbers. I would hope that when we mess up, that someone would email us and set us straight. We try so hard, as do most cachers, to follow the rules. We apologize for any mistakes we unintentionally made.

I think that emailing the offender with a notice that they have made an error is appropriate and deleting repeat logs is probably necessary.

Hey y'all stop talkin' 'bout me like that.

Just kidding, however I know exactly who the 2 are and believe me I have talked to them both about it without having any effect. I explained to the one that the Owner maintenance log is there for a reason yet he still logs it as found. And the other one, don't even get me started there.

I do confess I have logged a find on one of my own caches one time. We held a CITO event back in 2008 and I hid a few temp caches for everyone else to find and allowed them to log them on one of my hides. I did not log those but another cacher hid a temp cache that I found so I went ahead and logged that one. If anyone feels that I should not have done so, I will delete it.

As far as trying to figure out what we can do about these cachers. Really there is nothing in the rules that says not to log your own caches so I guess if that is what they want to do I can't stop them. But if someone logs one of mine more than once or logs it and has not signed the physical logsheet I will delete their log.

Just my thoughts if they are really worth anything.

Ashallond Guest
    The only times that I could see someone logging their own caches are part of an event, or if you fulfilled a challenge cache.

ARLT1YJ Guest

Re: Logging of finds??????

Quote Originally Posted by specialteacher
    If we give praise to those based on the number of caches found how could logging our own caches be right?
    I tend to give more praise to folks who've found difficult caches; whether that's bushwhacking many miles or solving a challenging puzzle. Therefore I give more credit to someone who's found 200 quality caches then someone who's racked up 2,000 skirt lifters. Please don't take that the wrong way, I've found my share of 1-1.5 difficulty caches and wouldn't bad-mouth anyone who does them exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by specialteacher
    How do others feel about this subject?
    It doesn't bother me that someone logs their own cache as a find. If they found it at a later date than when they'd hid it, then technically it is a find.

If they're logging the same one as 'found' multiple times, I have to question their intentions. Either they don't know how to properly log their maintenance trips or they are trying to artificially run up their finds. Or possibly they are doing it just to bother people and buck the system.

Quote Originally Posted by AR-HICK
    If you are logging your own caches all you are doing is FALSELY bumping your numbers.
    And, the same could be said for logging temporary caches at events. If a cache isn't good enough to have a GC number, is it good enough to log?