Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rails to Trails

astrodav Guest
    I've been trying to find a section of the old Rock Island line which I could use as a "walking power trail"....say about 2-3 miles long. I do know of a section which could be used for this on IP land (I think) down close to the old bauxite mining areas (not IN them)....but that's too far for me to maintain.

I have found a public section near Danville, but one end of it merges onto private land. I would rather it be open at both ends, so a person wouldn't have to back-track. Most of the old tram which is west of there is on private land. Maybe I'll eventually figure out a place to do it, but no promises.

I think it's be a neat cache-trail, walking along an old tram with about 4 caches to the mile. I know this isn't exactly related to the topic of this thread, but close anyway.

Hick--of course, how could I have forgotten the Delta Heritage Trail? It's short enough that an overnighter really isn't feasible for a cyclist, but a trail saturated with caches? Now that would be enough for me to load up the trike and spend a few days in the area! I see there hasn't been any activity on the thread in months...any idea of progress?

And astrodav...Loop trails certainly are preferable, but a one-way walking powertrail is just fine! Besides, a lot of us cache alone, and don't have two vehicles for shuttling anyway. I certainly wouldn't mind walking in 2-3 miles and then turning around and walking back. Cache in, hike back...nothing wrong with that!

There's also a one-way RTC trail that runs outside of Gilbert for 1.7 miles. If I still lived in Harrison, I would maintain such a trail. There's only one cache in the area, in the town of Gilbert on the western terminus. Wouldn't it be nice to spend a day snagging about 12-15 caches in this corridor? Cache in, hike out! The trail runs through NPS land, however, and I'm not sure how open they are to cache placement. From reading the October 2007 policy statement (http://www.funoutdoors.com/files/GPS%20guidance.pdf), it is clear that they feel like they have a clear nanny state imperative to protect us from ourselves by being obstructionist. I know from a high-up in the OHTA that the superintendent of the BNR has been contrary in the past in their efforts to consolidate the BNR trails with the OHT.