Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Power Trails

Quote Originally Posted by cachemates
    The last time I checked woodwalker9 is the current President of Arkgeo who I have complete confidence in.
    I agree 100%

astrodav Guest
    Although I have belonged to this site since shortly after I started caching, I do not frequent it for the same reason that I quit participating in the GroundSpeak forum.....this ISN'T a good representation of the "Geocaching Community" which I belong to & love so much.

In regards to he last 2 posts....Dentful was refering to the state's REVIEWER, not the ArkGeo President. He might have edited the post to give it a bit more clarity as to exactly WHICH position of authority he was mentioning, & his original post MAY have seemed it was about WW9. I dunno....I didn't see the post before today. But it quite clearly, at least to me, now refers to the reviewer.

I'm not going to go as far as to agree with what he said....nor am I going to disagree with it. I have a strong Type A Compulsive personality, which is a negative attribute which I admit to & realize. Being as I DO agree with much of what has already been stated on this subject, but also feel that nothing done on this site will change any of that, it's probaly best that I don't even engage in the discussion.

What I will say however, without getting into suggesting any type of action, is that:

1. It is rapidly & almost always unneccesarily becoming much more difficult to enjoy the sport of geocaching in this state....a fact that has even been noticed by several cachers from OTHER states.

2. There has been instances of unprofessional behavior & double-standards related to this specific topic.

3. Reviewers are given WAY too much lee-way by GroundSpeak, as far as in making up their own rules & adding to those which already exist. Ideally, this should never have BEEN a problem. A reviewer should have only one goal in mind, in my opinion....to make geocaching in his assigned area as enjoyable as possible for other geocachers, while staying within the guidelines that have been set, but not abusing the position by regularly inventing his/her own rules as they see fit.

4. Lastly, and I debated on even posting this one, but it has become a VERY common phrase to be used. Yes, reviewers are volunteers. But that shouldn't be used as a leverage device or excuse. A volunteer reviewer should be doing his job because he loves the sport & seeks to increase it's reach & make it consistently more enjoyable to everyone involved. If this isn't something they feel they can do, or if they have to consistently stress the fact that they aren't getting paid, that the position places an extreme burden upon them, & that they find it difficult to find enough time to do everything the position requires of them ....... then they most likely need to resign & hand the responsibility over to another cacher, of which the position DOESN'T cause such a burden for.

To all cachers .... Enjoy our sport, always try to make it even BETTER than it already is, and don't let squabbles such as this ruin it for you.

To all reviewers .... Do the same as above. But also, since a certain amount of authority has been entrusted to you, with which you can make decisions which affect us ALL, don't resort to abusing that trust & making it even harder for the above things to occur.

mountainborn Guest
    And, with three carefully spaced and somewhat ominous sounding taps of the gavel, . . . . . The Court of Public Opinion is in session . . . .
    Remember fellow geocachers, we are all in this sport togather. Temper your comments with equality in mind. Our reviewer also loves geocaching. This whole commentary should be about improving geocaching, and keeping it FUN, not about bullying by some members wanting change, or about a single individual's abuse of power.
    Attack the issues, not the individual.

Astrodav wrote:

1. It is rapidly & almost always unneccesarily becoming much more difficult to enjoy the sport of geocaching in this state....a fact that has even been noticed by several cachers from OTHER states.
    Doing a bunch of traveling, it is fun to keep up with several State sites and geocaching organizations. This group is by far the most reasonable we have encountered and much more agreeable, fun and outgoing than many. The cachers are fun to work with and an enjoyable bunch at gatherings. Their caches are fun to find, inventive and rarely is there any reticence to open up with advice on the hunts. This cannot be said for some in "other" states. Guess it takes all sorts to make things interesting and we have to chose accordingly, no??

Quote Originally Posted by SJClimber
    Astrodav wrote:

Doing a bunch of traveling, it is fun to keep up with several State sites and geocaching organizations. This group is by far the most reasonable we have encountered and much more agreeable, fun and outgoing than many. The cachers are fun to work with and an enjoyable bunch at gatherings. Their caches are fun to find, inventive and rarely is there any reticence to open up with advice on the hunts. This cannot be said for some in "other" states. Guess it takes all sorts to make things interesting and we have to chose accordingly, no??
    I have to agree. After living in Mississippi for two years I can tell you the Caching and the Cachers are much better in Arkansas.
    "Honey, we're not normal people. We're the Griswolds. "