Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power Trails

ARsearcher Guest

Power Trails

I was thinking about putting out a "power trail" in my area and had noticed recently on here there were some guidelines for this. Was looking just now to go over them again and cant find them. Maybe I saw them somewhere else? If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I thought I knew where that thread was, but I cannot see it any more. I wonder if it got deleted
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

specialteacher Guest
    I saw it on here somewhere but don't remember where.

I have looked and looked

but am wondering if it has disappeared

like the Fox thread did a few months ago????????????

It wasn't me this time!
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

The information was deleted at my request. The rules / limitations were not official Groundspeak rules / limitations and therefore should not have been publicly displayed since they gave the impression that it was a general change in policy. However, as a reviewer, I have discretion in what is allowed and not allowed locally with regard to power trails, especially as it relates to saturation of an area. If you are considering placement of a power trail, I recommend that you contact me by email to tell me your plans so that we can work through the details and avoid any issues before you go through the effort of placing the caches.

Chuck Walla
    Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer
    "Volunteering is for suckers. Did you know that volunteers don't even get paid for the stuff they do?" -- Homer Simpson

I am probably sticking my hand in the fire ant hill with no way to get it out - But - I personally feel it is wrong to remove posts from this forum just because you have the power and do not agree with the opinions stated or the information given. The postings were not inappropriate or vulgar in any manner. I would love to hear the opinions of my fellow cachers on this subject.
    “There aren’t enough days in the weekend.”
    Rod Schmidt

Sigh.....
    I didn't want it to come to this, but I agree with L2C. I think it is wrong to delete the thread with the rules with no explanation. However, that was Chuck's own thread. What I find absolutely reprehensible, is that a thread by another cacher has been deleted. This cacher is not from this state, so in the opinion of some, their thoughts and ideas don't matter. That very much flies in the face of all that we as Americans hold dear.
    On the subject of power trails, they are not something that I want to do every day, but I sure like to run them out when they pop up. I have other caches hidden in the National Forest, in some truly awesome spots. My favorite has been in place since Jan. 13th of 2008, and has been visited a total of 16 times. (one wasn't logged) On the other hand, my Mainhaul series has been out since August, and has been visited 39 times, by cachers from AR, MO, LA, TX, ME, OK, MS, and others. I try to hide what cachers want to find. I don't understand why I and others are getting such grief for trying to place caches that cachers want to find! This makes no sense to me. I have done my absolute best to keep our reviewer in mind while placing these and turning them in. Even when doing so, it seems that I have been treated with a sense of being done a favor, instead of trying to make this state a better place to play our game. I don't understand using "saturation guidelines" to enforce this obvious dislike of this type of caching. I don't feel it is right to dictate the way this game is played in this state with the power of the reviewer, to the point of making it different than the way it is played in other places.
    I know that I may never get another cache hidden in this state again for stating my opinion, but that is what it is. My opinion. I shouldn't have to fear stating my opinion in this country, but apparently, the tenets that we hold dear (free speech in this case), don't hold much water on this site, if someone's thread can be deleted, because someone in power doesn't like what it says, eh' comrade?
    There, I said what others are thinking, but don't want to say. I don't want to be rude, because I have considered our reviewer my friend, but I just think this is wrong. I thought it would blow over, and be a thing of the past, but when it didn't, I felt like it was time to speak up.
    Y'all call and check on me every once in a while to make sure I am still breathing.
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!!

The "other" posting in question was deleted because the website user re-posted the full text of the rules / limitations that previously had been deleted at the request of the originator. This was inappropriate on the part of that website user. They should have limited their posting to the response they received from Groundspeak on their inquiry and any personal opinions on the topic, without reposting the deleted material.
    "Volunteering is for suckers. Did you know that volunteers don't even get paid for the stuff they do?" -- Homer Simpson

This was inappropriate on the part of that website user. They should have limited their posting to the response they received from Groundspeak on their inquiry and any personal opinions on the topic, without reposting the deleted material.
    Who deemed it "inappropriate"? If you felt that it was inappropriate, should you have just made a posting saying so? To delete this post was CENSORSHIP at its finest. I don't see any excuse for it! People were asking for the information. Perhaps when the original thread was deleted, there should have been some explanation.
    Chuck, I don't understand. This is way out of character for you. You have always been up front and consistent. What is going on?
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!!

Lexmano Guest

How can we discuss proposed limitations without a context?

In my opinion it was cowardly on the part of the original poster to simply delete the rules with no comment.

An appropriate response would seem to have been to indicate that these rules have been rescinded, yet leave them there for discussion of the issues presented by power trails. The reviewer says the policies advanced are still valid, they just were not expressed appropriately, and future hiders need to confer with him regarding power trails.

What a Catch 22 for hiders.

I will be quiet now.