Thread: Waterproofing a cache

pshelto Guest

Waterproofing a cache

My grandma gave me this cool little insurance and important document holder from the 50s and it would make a great cache, except it isn't waterproof. It has some holes in a few of the corners where the metal doesn't quite meet and I am sure the lid doesn't seal.

So my question to all you creative and somewhat unique cachers out there is this: how could I make it waterproof?

The simple solution seems to be to put everything into a large zip-lock, but I would like to see if anyone out there has something that worked well for a cache.

The cache is thin metal, the container is about two inches deep, four inches wide and a foot long. The lid is on the long side and goes from the top down about six inches. It fits pretty snug, so I don't think it would let a lot of water in, but the holes in the bottom are big enough for a toothpick to go through. I think I can plug up the holes, but the lid is still problematic because its interface with the container isn't sealed. (I'll try to get pictures if I can find a way to take some decent ones).

Ideas?[/img]

The only thing I can think of is run a bead of silicone around the inside edge and make it where it sits above the lip edge. You'll need a soft silicone, perhaps like the one we use to make gaskets for cars. This "may" help it seal when the lid is pressed on and the silicone contacts the lid. The same silicone can seal up the small holes as well. That's about all I can think of besides hiding it in a place like under a rock edge to keep it from the elements.

redink Guest
    I would suggest 1/2 to 3/4 inch weather stripping.
    It's self adhesive on one side and the other side
    should have the weather protectant on it.

Camper tape will also work,it's pricey and you have to
    purchase way to much, most automtive will have it.

One last product is called permagum also at auto stores
    it's used to fill in around air conditioning boxes.

Hope this was somewhat useful

pshelto Guest

waterproof

Thanks for the advice. I dug around a bit and found some silicone to use. I lined one side and I think it will work. I plugged up the holes, so now I am just trying to figure out how to seal the hinge. I am going to try putting some sort of sealed plastic around the entire area to see if that will work. I will keep you updated and keep the ideas coming.

TheRascals Guest
    You might also think of the liquid plastic that I have seen used to coat tool handles. This might be applied to the outside.

I have used JB weld to patch holes in some of my ammo boxes. Used that years ago on holes in the bottom of my flat bottom boat. You can get it at most any hardware store.

pshelto Guest

thanks

I didn't think about JB Weld, but that would probably work for the holes. I think I have them pretty well plugged up now, just need to work on the hinges and the clasp. I left it in the rain yesterday and got a little bit of water, so now onto plan B (ziplocks).