Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Maintenance of ParkCaches

Maintenance of ParkCaches

The Board is excited to announce a new opportunity that has come our way!

The ParkCache series has been a great success for the Arkansas State Parks (ASP) and for geocaching in Arkansas. However, due to problems with some of the ParkCaches, such as poor coordinates or being missing or in bad shape, the image of the State Parks and geocaching in Arkansas could be tainted. To address this problem, ASP was approached about allowing ArkGeo to partner with the State Parks on maintenance of the caches, on a volunteer basis. ASP was agreeable to this. The proposal was discussed at the ArkGeo Board meeting on Friday, January 8, and the Board unanimously approved a motion to enter into a ParkCache maintenance relationship with the State Parks.

There are still some details and questions that will need to be addressed with ASP, but they have agreed to allow us to maintain the ParkCaches in all 52 State Parks. The only cache they will continue to maintain is the bonus ParkCache, The Grand Finale. If you wish to volunteer to maintain one or more ParkCaches in your local area, please note here in this Forum thread which Parks you are volunteering for. Or send an email to Old River Runner (oldriverrunner@hotmail.com), who has volunteered to coordinate this effort.

This partnership allows ArkGeo an excellent community relationship opportunity. Furthermore, it aligns with ArkGeo’s Vision statement, which states:
    Arkansas Geocachers Association exists for the purposes of promoting and improving geocaching in Arkansas. Through education and by example, we are committed to the idea of utilizing this challenging, fulfilling, and family-friendly activity as a means by which we will engage in the conservation of the natural, unspoiled landscapes of the state of Arkansas by encouraging members to maintain the highest level of respect for parks, trails, and other areas in which geocaching may be conducted.

Please help your Association be successful in this undertaking!

For the current list of volunteers, go to this document.

edieo Guest
    I'll volunteer for Mt .Nebo and Mount Magazine

bluesybreeze Guest
    I'll volunteer for Petit Jean State Park.

Ashallond Guest
    I'll take Lake Fort Smith.

flannelman Guest
    I can take Jenken's Ferry since I have family and property in the area. I am over there at least once a month but sometimes as often as once a week.

grzz51 Guest
    I can do the Delta Heritage Trail, Louisiana Purchase & Mississippi River State Parks. They are all close by and I pass them frequently.

grzz51 Guest
    QUESTION........... When do we start maintenance checks on the ParkCaches we volunteered for? And what else will it entail?

Quote Originally Posted by grzz51
    QUESTION........... When do we start maintenance checks on the ParkCaches we volunteered for? And what else will it entail?
    Wait until I give you the green light. I need to talk with Joe Jacobs at the ASP, get a few questions answered, and then we could get started. I emailed Joe today to let him know the good news. He replied that he had spoken to the parks director the other day and that he liked the idea. He also said that they would like to have everyone who volunteers to fill out a volunteer form and log the hours they spend on it. I'm not sure how often this form would need to be turned in, but that's one of the things I need to cover with him this week or next. I would hope that things could be worked through within 2 weeks.

One other thing - I'm putting together a list of the parks and who is volunteering for each park. I need everyone's real name, your geocaching handle (if different than what you use here), and your email address. Please email this information to me at oldriverrunner@hotmail.com. I have this information for everyone who has already responded to this thread except for grzz51, so you don't need to send me the information. However, grzz51, I need your information. I don't see you listed as a voting member, although it looks like your wife is (mz_grzz). Send me an email (or register as a voting member! Thanks!
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

grzz51 Guest
    Tell Joe that the ones of us who suffered the joys, pains, and sometimes indignities involved in completing the ParkCache series are still waiting to have a reunion so we can relate all the tall tales we can fabricate.

I have this information for everyone who has already responded to this thread except for grzz51, so you don't need to send me the information. However, grzz51, I need your information. I don't see you listed as a voting member, although it looks like your wife is (mz_grzz). Send me an email (or register as a voting member! Thanks!
    Sorry! I just found your information, grzz51! Looks like you've been registered since 2006! But what I said still applies to future volunteers!
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen