Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paperless caching. Help please.......

I remember that nonnipoppy and Golfnutz put on some GSAK / paperless geocaching classes at some of the Clarksville events a few years back. They even used a projector connected to their laptop to demonstrate how to do it. Unfortunately, they are no longer as active as they once were. Perhaps someone else could put on a class at the Paris event or some future event? There appears to be a lot of interest in this.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

gingerose Guest
    The great cachers of the Searcy area did this at the their event. (projector and all) It was very helpful and gave me things to think about.

Yea, I remember that. I think it was called like gsak 101 and Paperless caching 101 or some such.

I'm starting to think a caching demo area is a great idea, cause even if the person doing the talking don't know the answers to every question, there is someone at the event that probably does. Also, it will give us a way to show how to set up the PDA, cachemate, gsak, and even some hands on experience of different GPSr's

The one event I loved, was the accuracy test! That is a blast!

AR boy, have you gotten any caches to the device yet? Now, in trial mode...cachemate can only allow a handfull of caches like 10-20 or so to be loaded into the program.

The way I remember doing mine was I moved the file to the device and installed it there, then I just did the "syncing" folder thing by placing a file I want synced to the device in that folder. It would then tell me i'm done. Then the first time I open cachemate, it will look for that file or files and upload them to it's "database". I say files cause I can load different areas to that coincide with my Pocket Queries of different geocache areas.

Good Luck, and again...feel free to post up to get you going, hopefully we can find someone to do some kind of 101 class for us all.

arkansasboy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jclaudii
    Yea, I remember that. I think it was called like gsak 101 and Paperless caching 101 or some such.

I'm starting to think a caching demo area is a great idea, cause even if the person doing the talking don't know the answers to every question, there is someone at the event that probably does. Also, it will give us a way to show how to set up the PDA, cachemate, gsak, and even some hands on experience of different GPSr's

The one event I loved, was the accuracy test! That is a blast!

AR boy, have you gotten any caches to the device yet? Now, in trial mode...cachemate can only allow a handfull of caches like 10-20 or so to be loaded into the program.

The way I remember doing mine was I moved the file to the device and installed it there, then I just did the "syncing" folder thing by placing a file I want synced to the device in that folder. It would then tell me i'm done. Then the first time I open cachemate, it will look for that file or files and upload them to it's "database". I say files cause I can load different areas to that coincide with my Pocket Queries of different geocache areas.

Good Luck, and again...feel free to post up to get you going, hopefully we can find someone to do some kind of 101 class for us all.
    Yeah,it will only let download so many to my gps before I purchase the full version. I have found one cache using the info from GSAK. I have recently found that I can add notes in GSAK for transfer to my device.

Another paperless caching class is a great idea and I for one would attend.

A note about the Groundspeak Iphone app. As a GPS it is woefully inadequate. In conjunction with a GPS it makes a good paperless reference.

drmo913 Guest
    I found the iphone app works well for urban caches (redman and skirtlifters). It's access to constantly updating google maps is awesome as well. I've found a quite a few caches after work just by looking at the maps on the phone. The GPS will get you within about 50 feet, and at least for me, that's usually enough to point me in the right direction to hunt.

Echo that about the iPhone. Not a GPS, but a darn fine mo-chine for geocaching. Other than that, I feel sorry for all you chumps out there who don't have a DeLorme. Surely the new Garmins must be similar, no?