Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TomTom

HikerRon Guest

TomTom

My 2nd ex-wife is sending me a new TomTom for Christmas. (dont ask)
    I should receive it tomorrow.
    Anyone have any experiences , good or bad?
    With the TomTom, not my ex-wife

Sorry Ron, no experience with either...

grzz51 Guest
    HikerRon, Are you trying to get back into that "big hole in the ground" we found in Norphlet...... :P

grzz51 Guest
    Wait a minute, you should already know all the streets and road in the state

We've had a TomTom One for a couple of years now. We love it! It is invaluable for navigating the roads to caches, planning routes, and such. We can load up all the caches in the state on it and cache where ever we happen to be at the time.

However, you probably won't want use it outside of the vehicle. And certainly don't expect to use it as a GPSr replacement. Ours does have a screen that shows coordinates, so you can walk around in circles until the numbers match, but that's not as fun as following the little arrow.

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

HikerRon Guest
    Wayne, perhaps you could tell me how to get the caches over into the unit..?
    Explain it to me like you would explain it to a 5 yr old

1) Open all of your GPX files in GSAK. You can do this by un-checking the "Clear database before loading" box when opening a file. This puts all of your GPX files together into one big database in GSAK.

2) Export this file to TomTom format. (File -> Export -> TomTom POI File, then click the "Generate" button)

3) Copy this newly created file to the correct folder on your TomTom device. (I don't have my device handy at the moment, but I'll update these directions with the name of the folder when I get a chance... I think it's under maps -> USA...)

Done! The caches should show up on the map. I took the extra step and made an icon that looks like a cache, so we could distinguish caches from other waypoints on the screen. I can send you this file, too, if you're interested...

Wayne
    View my profile

HikerRon Guest
    Well that doesnt sound too difficult. Send the the icon file, i'll attempt that too.
    Thanks!

Email sent.
    View my profile

KD5JNL Guest
    can you also put cache discription on the tom tom?