Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Learning Pocket Queries and Garmin 60CSx...

Tinman, I'm not sure why that didn't work. I just tried it one my 60CSx and it worked fine. Do you have the Use Default box UNCHECKED?

TinmanJones Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodwalker9
    Tinman, I'm not sure why that didn't work. I just tried it one my 60CSx and it worked fine. Do you have the Use Default box UNCHECKED?
    yes sir... I did those steps lastnight probably 4 times, after reading those instructions in the FAQ, & it still shows the cache name...

TinmanJones Guest
    im wondering, if i were to delete all the caches in GSAK, and redo the PQ and resend the updated PQ to GSAK, then put the "%code" in, BEFORE i sent the GC to the 60CSx, if theyd show up as code instead of names?

or should it just change whats already on the 60CSx?

Try deleting all waypoints out of the GPSr before sending PQ from GSAK with %code. It really should work.

Quote Originally Posted by TinmanJones
    thank yall for helpin clear that up for me

now, how do I get it to display the GC code instead of the GC name...
    I always use the GC # too. Here is what I have for the waypoint name:
    %drop2 %con1%typ1 %dif1a %ter1a %children %drop2%c_Prefix %c_type=1

The drop2 drops the "GC" from the code, Con1 andTyp1 display the container size and type of cache as 1 character, and the dif1a and ter1a display the difficulty and terrain as 1 character. So a diff of 1 would display 1, and a diff of 1.5 would display as A, 2 would be a 2, 2.5 a B, etc. For Maximum characters, use 14.

In Waypoint description I use:
    %smart=08-%hint

smart=08 creates a smartname of 8 characters and hint will display the decoded hint.

This is what I use for my Legend HCx and will work for the 60CSx too. This allows the GPS to display gc #, diff, terr, container and cache type all in the waypoint field.

The 2nd example will display the shortname and hint in the description field, so you have all the basic info you need for any cache you load.

RGS - St. Louis

What a great thread! I am a HUGE fan of GSAK and if I ever knew how to use it to it fullest potential there is no telling what I would learn that it can do.

Here is how I have my GSAK set up under the Send Waypoints and on the Waypoints Name: %ShortName %drop2

I can sometimes relate to a cache by it's name, but I also use Firefox for my web browser and I use the Greasemonkey macros that allows every page of Geocaching.com to have a box to enter the GC# to go straight to a cache listing. It helps me to log them online fast.

The "%drop2 gives me the GC# without the "GC" since all waypoints begin with those two letters.

I use to always use cache names, but more and more I use the GC#.

Just my 2cents to a great thread.

Well Gosh, you had me go and look up how I did it on my 60C.

I would start by deleting all the caches out of your GPSr. Then I would use whatever database you want cause it does not format it on the way in, only on the way out of the program and into the GPSr.

Here is the way I got it into our 60c, Go to waypoints a choose "send waypoints to GPS" and in the "waypoint name we have %code. Also, in the "waypoint description format (comments)" we have (%Dif1/%con1) %name. That will put the geocode on the screen and put the difficulty, containter type and the name of who placed it on the description. That is allt he room our gps has for. We use a PDA with cachemate on it to do the "paperless" geocaching. I want to say cachemate will work with certain smartphones as well.

This thread from 2007 provided some good information (with GSAK screen shots) on how to set up your cache names for transmittal to your GPSr. I personally don't use this method (although I have tried it), but many really, really like it.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen