Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cemetery Caches

clown4u Guest

Cemetery Caches

I am a cacher in Harrison and looking for some information.
    I would like to place a series of cemetery caches in Boone County, but am not sure about who to or if I need to ask permission from someone prior to placing them. Do you know if permission is required to place a cache in County cemetery, since sometimes it is impossible to determine who would have the authority to grant that permission?
    Any information you may have would help greatly.

In the cemeteries around here there has always been a sign on who to call if you want to dig a grave or buy a plot. The number on the sign is someone on the cemetery board. They are the folks you need to talk to about placing a cache.

Hope this helps.
    “There aren’t enough days in the weekend.”
    Rod Schmidt

For real? You're saying that most cemetery caches are placed with permission? I don't believe that. In fact, I would say that is what makes them so appealing to geocachers in general, that they are functionally public places that don't require permission. A cemetery board is usually composed of a handful of members who have loved ones buried in the cemetery, and that's it. They control who will and won't be buried there, and the general upkeep of the grounds. I can't imagine any reasonable person denying permission to hide a camoed pill bottle, but I could see some unreasonable person doing it for superstitious and arbitrary reasons. Plus, it ain't like the person you ask is going to "bring it before the board" and sign a contract with you. Personally, I wouldn't bother with asking for permisssion.

part of groundspeaks revamping of the rules last year involved cemetery caches. we now have to seek permission when placing those caches out of respect for the residents. it seems that they were getting complaints from muggles who didn't understand the game.

Quote Originally Posted by captaincooder
    For real? You're saying that most cemetery caches are placed with permission? I don't believe that. In fact, I would say that is what makes them so appealing to geocachers in general, that they are functionally public places that don't require permission. A cemetery board is usually composed of a handful of members who have loved ones buried in the cemetery, and that's it. They control who will and won't be buried there, and the general upkeep of the grounds. I can't imagine any reasonable person denying permission to hide a camoed pill bottle, but I could see some unreasonable person doing it for superstitious and arbitrary reasons. Plus, it ain't like the person you ask is going to "bring it before the board" and sign a contract with you. Personally, I wouldn't bother with asking for permisssion.
    I have always asked permission to place a cache no matter where I have hidden it. Even if it is in a "functionally public place" it is still controlled by someone who you should never "assume" would be okay with it. There were some cachers in Texas that did that and that I believed brought brought up the cemetery issues with Groundspeak.

Everyone I have ever asked to place a cache has said I could, so no harm in asking at all. It only takes a minute to make the call.

Asking permission in advance sure would save the trouble if later they really did have a problem with it and it causes some bad publicity like the case in Texas. It was in the papers there and they were trying to pass laws to stop geocaching in cemeteries.

As cachers we should always go the extra mile, if we don't we can expect more and more restrictions from Groundspeak and local governments.

Actually, in South Carolina, it is against state law to place a geocache in any cemetery. That restriction has been in place for several years now. So never assume anything when it comes to placing a geocache and especially be careful not to abuse anything, whether you are placing or searching for a geocache.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

We always ask permission for placing a cache in any cemetery that we have done, but you might still run into someone visiting a friend or relative that has no idea why your are there. Please, just take the time to thoroughly explain what we do and assure them that we mean no harm and will do mo harm. Cemeteries are sacred places - treat them as such. If there is a visitor close to the cache, just wait to make the grab until another time or trip. They probably don't want to be disturbed.

Ok, that is our 2 cents worth. Thanks for listening.
    Rod Schmidt

Didn't know that about South Carolina. I don't normally call things stupid, but ...do they also outlaw geneology enthusiasts and history buffs who trample all over the place taking pictures and notes? How disrespectful!

I only have one cemetery cache, one that I adopted. I view them as sacred places, just like forests and lakes and streams and canyons and church sanctuaries. I would hide one outside if at all possible, but sometimes it's just not feasible.

I've got a list of 11 local cemeteries without caches. I've asked all of the "residents" in them if they minded, and heard not one "nay."

TheRascals Guest
    One of the things I have enjoyed about a cemetery cache is that some of them are in the most beautiful places. I have also seen some very interesting graves. If I knew how to post a picture I have one that is very interesting. They can be seen at Http://drop.io/cemetery
    If you have pictures you want to add to this site it should let you and we could all enjoy. I hope it works.

Cute, Captain! Make me smile..... ! ! !
    Rod Schmidt