Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Caching

nathan72454 Guest

Winter Caching

So, I decided to get into geocaching during the colder months of the year, which is no big deal becasue I won't let it slow me down.
    I was curious though, if there are any caches that are better to do during the fall/winter months in Arkansas?

Anywhere that requires long hikes or climbing of mountains.
    Waterfall caches are nice due to we usually have more water and lack of foliage make for better views in the winter months. Don't have to worry about Ticks, Chiggers and skeeters this time of the year. Just stay away from caches that require swiming unless you are part Polar Bear, I know one of those fools
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

Welcome to Geocaching Nathan.

A lot of geocachers do most of their caching during the fall/winter months because of the lack of pests such as snakes, chiggers, and mosquitoes.

The extreme cold, snow, and sleet only lasts a few days at a time and sometimes we don't have any of the nasty stuff at all.

I find the hot weather is more of a hindrance then the cold.

Enjoy yourself now, then when summer comes you will wish it were winter again.

Just WHO are you referring to there HICK?

nathan72454 Guest
    Yea. I guess I didn't think about all the pests.

I agree, some of the coolest caches we found were in the cooler months. We love heading up to the forest service area and looking around there after a decent rain. Especially if you have a 4x4 as you can navigate the trails and see some awesome seasonal waterfalls.

I agree with jclaudii -- hit the Ozarks or Ouachitas or any of our state parks while the leaves are off the trees and be ready to see some great views while you geocache! Also, be amazed by some of the beautiful waterfalls in our state. You can do urban caching year round, but the hills are the best in cooler weather.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

nathan72454 Guest
    Awesome! Thanks guys. I really appreciate it!

bluesybreeze Guest
    This past weekend I got to do some winter caching during the ArkGeo trail Cleanup Cito near Ben Hur on the Ozark Highland Trails with idratherbehiking, geojeepers, edieo, and mathseeker. The temperature was in the lower 30's and it was misting rain, but the views were spectacular and the ice formations on the bluffs and the waterwalls were fantastic! We were able to find 3 waterfall caches, and viewed 4 waterfalls all total. Falling Water Falls was running just too fast and deep for us to cross...and, yes all of us had wet boots and muddy pants, but were very, very happy cachers.

I, too like winter caching best for the woods because of the views and the dormancy of the poisonous plants. There are some amazing trails in Arkansas. Hope to see you out there soon.

Hey Nathan! There is a spot in the Jonesboro area that is great for caching in the winter. The Craighead Forest has a number of outstanding caches inside its confines. Likestocanoe1 and I cleaned the area out on Sunday morning, with the exception of one that is missing. There are some great views and an awesome viewing platform to boot. There is one cache in particular that was one of the best I have seen in a while, as far as cleverness/evil. It is called "Touche Woodwalker", and it was worth the drive for us.
    Of course you have the Ouachitas and the Ozarks, but I thought I should enter this place into the discussion, especially since I think you said that you were from that area. Seems like Crowley's Ridge gets left out of the discussion of woodsy areas in Arkansas a lot, so I thought I would throw that out there.
    Happy Caching!
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!!