Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any TB Hotels in Russellville?

mud4x4 Guest

Any TB Hotels in Russellville?

I did a search for TB hotels in Russellville but was only able to find "West Bestern" going west bound. Are there anymore TB hotels in the area?
    And also, is it OK to put geocoins in TB hotels for travel?
    I figure it is, but want to make sure since they are called "TB" hotels.
    And say, there is a TB or geocoin in the "West Bestern" cache or any other TB hotel...can I take it and move it around my town or does it need to stay on/near the TB hotel (interstate) for travel?
    A good example...is right now, there is a TB in the West Bestern cache that originated from Switzerland has came over here to New Mexico, to Oklahoma and now Arkansas BUT it's in the west bound lane of the interstate...so it is heading back to where it came from.

There is the Bug Jug Cache GC17R68 down at Old Post Park but other than that thee are not any others.

I have one that I am building that is almost ready. Hopefully I will have time to get it finished in the next week. It will be a nice one and will be hidden right off the interstate.

It is definitely OK to place Geocoins in them also. Most TB Hotels have rules posted that say if you take one leave one just like trading regular items in caches. I have seen alot of times in the past where someone will remove all of the bugs and not place any in them. Any TB or geocoin can be moved anytime. Just be sure you read the goal of the item and try and make every attempt to help it along its goal or place it somewhere that someone else can.

When I get home from work tonight I'll send you some links to some great websites with lots of info on Travel Bugs and everything else geocaching. Glad to see some more new folks in our area joining our addiction.

There seems to be a misconception that you have to place a TB or geocoin in a TB hotel. Not so! You can place a TB or geocoin in any geocache which is large enough to hold it! And there are lots of those in Russellville.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

mud4x4 Guest
    I have recently picked up a TB that spent some time in Belgium then came straight to Arkansas and has spent some time now in Arkansas and not any other state yet. I was debating on putting it in a local cache. The last place it came from was Morrilton and then came up here (North of Dover) and that's where I picked it up. It was in the cache that I found it in for 4 months. And it's been in Arkansas for almost 1 1/2 years now.
    I then thought maybe I should set it up in a TB hotel in hopes that it gets to go to another state.
    The only goals it has is to "research other games like it" and to travel from cache to cache...so it really doesn't have a particular goal.

idratherbehiking - Will your hotel be going East or West bound?
    I noticed the Bug Jug Cache but it's a Premium member cache and I am not a Premium member yet...still testing the waters.
    And on your comment - "Most TB Hotels have rules posted that say if you take one leave one just like trading regular items in caches."
    Do they post these rules on the cache page or is it something put inside a cache (piece of paper, etc.)?
    If it is something that is posted on the cache page, I haven't seen one yet. But then again we don't have many hotels either.

mud4x4 Guest
    ORR - My daughter and I plan on hunting for all of your Bona Dea Trail caches sometime this week. This will be her first geocaching experience.
    Looks like we might have at least a days worth of hunting ahead of us.
    She's so excited! Goes without saying that I am too.

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    Unless Geocaching.com has changed their guidelines, you cannot put any kind of requirement on taking travel bugs. You cannot say to leave one in order to take one and you cannot say leave any kind of swag in order to take one. Travel bugs fall outside the trading guidelines.

I'm stepping up on my soap box now. Travel bug hotels have been a pet peeve of mine for a long time. Some cachers scour other caches for travel bugs and put them in their TB hotels to make them more attractive to cachers. This is the heigth of selfishness, in my opinion. Travel bugs are meant to travel. If a TB hotel has, say, 5 TBs and a restriction to leave one in order to take one, then 4 of the TBs have been effectively taken out of circulation. There are cachers, old and new, fanning out over the countryside hunting caches but they are deprived of the joy of finding and moving a TB because 4 out of 5 are stashed away in a TB hotel.

I'm off the soap box now. Happy caching, happy travel bug moving and happy Thanksgiving to all.

Geezer (how appropriate my handle)

mud4x4 Guest
    Geezer_Veazey - I can see your point about TB getting "collected" in hotels...
    I am debating on putting this one in a hotel only because it's spent 1 1/2 years in Arkansas and hasn't seen any other US states yet.
    And it looks like alot of the 1 1/2 years it's been here in Arkansas, it's done alot of sitting in caches and not much traveling.
    I would rather put it in another local cache but I would hate to see it spend more time here in Arkansas.
    If it hadn't spent so much time in Arkansas I would definitely just drop it in a local cache. I won't be dropping all TB/GC's that I find into hotels...unless their goals say so or I see they've spent enough time in Arkansas and need to move on to another state.
    I will drop as many as I can into local caches.

Quote Originally Posted by mud4x4
    ORR - My daughter and I plan on hunting for all of your Bona Dea Trail caches sometime this week. This will be her first geocaching experience.
    Looks like we might have at least a days worth of hunting ahead of us.
    She's so excited! Goes without saying that I am too.
    Good luck on your hunt! I hope you find them all! But be prepared for a lot of walking. I think that all are still in place, although there have been a couple of recent DNFs against No Swimming, so that one may (or may not) be missing. It's a little challenging to find. I will try to get by and check on it, but it will be a few days before I can do so. Try your luck with it anyway!

Regarding your desire to get a TB you're holding on its way out of Arkansas, I suggest dropping it off at the West Bestern IH-40 WESTBOUND Travel Bug Rest Stop (GCGPPJ). This cache is located at the west bound rest stop just west of the London exit. If you place the TB there, I'm sure it will be on its way out of state very soon.

ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

mud4x4 Guest
    ORR - I am hoping we have time to find all of them at Bona Dea.
    If we get to your "No Swimming" cache and can't find it...I'll log it as a DNF, so you know.
    I am thinking I might drop this TB in one of your caches...since it is close to the interstate and I bet these caches get a lot of out-of-towner's and they could move it along.

I think TB hotel or even a high traffic cache will get the job done. Especially if you put in the log when you drop it off that you wanted it to go further than you were able to take it and that it has been in this state for over a year and it is time for it to branch out and go somewhere else for this holiday season. I usually read the previous few logs on travelbugs to see what people have to say about them just in case there is some new news on it.

If you want to make sure it gets out of the state you should search this site for "stargates" these super gateways for travelbug travel exist and will get it out fast.

But I think just a high travel local cache will get the job done.