Thread: Be nice to cache owners month Dec. '09

HikerRon Guest

Be nice to cache owners month Dec. '09

I'm just making this up of course. But what if we all leave a few words in our online logs next month about the condition of the caches we find. Most of us already receive notes about broken or missing containers, wet logs, etc.
    But as a cache owner i really appreciate it when a finder tells me ' cache is in great shape!'. Saves me some time and $$$ from running around checking on caches that are fine.

edieo Guest
    I totally agree

gingerose Guest
    Sounds like a great idea!!!

Amen Brother Ron!!
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!!

pshelto Guest

agree

I totally agree and I'm going to admit that those negative logs have almost convinced me to quit putting out new geocaches. I appreciate people telling me a log is wet or a cache is missing, but I really appreciate it when someone tells me they replaced the log. I try to keep up my caches, but sometimes it can take weeks to get free time from work and school to fix a cache and last I checked it was a zero profit hobby so forgive me for using whatever I can find suitable to use as a cache.

Off my soapbox.

Have a great Turkey Day!!!

I think pshelto you are right. Some of us (all of us) should carry a small first aid kit that way we can patch ourselves up after trudging through the briers, just like southerngirl and I carry a cache repair kit. It's just a ziplock with various size ziplocks in it, various sizes of new logs, some cache repair tape, a few new geocaching information sheets, some CITO bags, and a few extra containers (like pill bottles, and magnetic key hiders) just in case the previous one is damaged.

We have replaced wet logs for folks because we know how hard it is for some of us to keep maintenance on our caches. We also know if we hike an hour to find a cache that the odds of it getting maintenance quick are pretty rare. So we usually fix it up. Also, who likes to hike an hour just to find a soggy cache that the previously two people did nothing and no good swag. So in those cases, we usually take pride in making the cache better by tossing a few good trade items in like flashlights or ponchos.

Thanks to all the cachers out there who have helped us out!

pshelto Guest

thanks

I applaud you jclaudii because that is what caching is all about. It's not really about what you find (although sometimes we get some good swag) but rather about the experience and the people we meet along the way.