Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie - North of Dover

GeoJeepers Guest
    My wife has a 02 Liberty with a 2.5" lift and tires that are a little too big for the fenderwells. I've got an 84 CJ money pit...if I listed everything I've done to it at one time or another I would overload this website! But I love it...a little to much for my own good!

jclaudii, that is one sweet WJ! You don't see very many of those that look like that!

mud4x4, jclaudii has a great suggestion. Cachers are the friendliest bunch of people you'll meet and if you hit an event you could get some great feedback.

mud4x4 Guest
    I have a Magellan Triton 400...seems to work well. I haven't tried "paperless" mode on it yet. Mainly because of all the glitches I've heard they have. Seems like I got the "unpopular" brand of GPS on the geocaching community

GeoJeepers Guest
    A MAGELLAN???

It really doesn't matter what kind you have. You can play this game and have a great time at it no matter what you use, and that's all that matters! Hope to see you out there...come to Searcy some time for a caching trip. (we have a few around)

mud4x4 Guest
    "A MAGELLAN??? Shocked Shocked"

Yeah, a Magellan [hangs head low]...
    I am NOT in the popular cliches, I guess!
    Couldn't find any Garmins or Delormes here in Russellville.
    It's almost impossible to find many handheld gpsr's around here.
    My choice was between a $600 Bushnell or Magellan models from $130 to $300... and since I was new to Geocaching AND the world of GPS's, I didn't know any better.
    Now I do know better and maybe I'll end up with a better gpsr sometime.

GeoJeepers Guest
    Our first GPSr was a Magellan; we found our first 200 or so and had a blast doing it. Whatever you're holding only gets you so close anyway...the rest is up to you! Good luck!

I remember when I started looking for a gpsr I had no luck at the stores in Conway or even in Little Rock. The only place that even had one I could try out was Academy Sports & Outdoor. And after looking at what they had I was even more confused. I finally did some research online and found the unit I wanted (Garmin 60csx). I really got lucky and ended up with one of the best models for geocaching.

That was a couple of years ago, now I see units at Best Buy, Gander Mountain and even Wal-Mart. Not saying they offer the best models, but at least they have something out there for potential cachers to get started with.