Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: geocaching smartphones

I recently bought a Blackberry Curve and use Cacheberry app on it for paperless caching. I don't have the GPS use on my phone, but who needs it when you have a Garmin 60Csx!

marksar Guest
    Ashallond, I don't think the the app on the iPhone is worthless. It is the BEST interface to geocaching.com I have seen, but with +/- 56 feet accuracy (which is what my friend gets on the iPhone in the best of times) it is good for paperless, but you still need another GPS and transfer coords. It is not a GPS replacement.

Also, let me note I have the Motorola Droid, not the HTC Droid.

I went out caching this weekend again with my Droid. I went though Smithville, Lynn, and Stawberry. I lost internet/service when going through the area, and had to drive to where I could pick up a signal (need to learn how to download caches into geobeagle) and it worked as good as my 60Csx. (both brought me to roughly the same place, and roughly similar accuracy), plus the Droid handles navigation to the cache, and allows for satellite views.

Battery life was good Did 2-3 hours of geocaching with GPS and Internet access and still had about 30% battery life left. Just hooked up to the charger while in the car, and back up to 70% when I got to the next cache down the road.

Once I learn how to download caches to geobeagle I think I will leave my 60Csx at home.

I have used the iPhone MANY times to find caches when I had a few minutes to kill and wasn't prepared to cache. It will, eventually, get you to a cache. The accuracy is not a close as my 60csx, but if you have the patience and remember that the iPhone has to be in motion for the GPS to be accurate, you can find a cache.

Me and BSA534 went out to a new cache tonight. The cache is hidden in the woods just off a trail. When I found the cache, I looked at my phone and the distance to the cache said 4 feet. Pretty close if you ask me, but after I sat still for a minute signing the log, the accuracy went down and it went kind of haywire. I love having the information features when out at a cache.

The phone is great as an additional tool, but I wouldn't replace my 60 csx on those big cache runs.

nathan72454 Guest
    Hey Guys. I'm new to geocaching and I have not picked up a stand alone gps unit yet. I am usning my Samsung Epix smartphone with GCzII and google earth. It seems to work great. It brought me within 10 feet of my last find.

marksar Guest

Geobeagle on the Droid

OK, have played a bit more with the droid, and I love it.

I have downloaded a gpx files for the 500 from a pocket query, Went right to my email. The google mail app lacks download of attachments, but I went to website and downloaded the file (not geobeagle's fault for the extra step) Then I told geobeagle to pull them up.

From running pocket query to having a list (paperless, listed by closest first) took less than 5 minutes, even with the alternative download.

Add to this the fact I can can load the point into the google maps program (options, google maps) and get turn by turn directions to the cache)

The more I use geobegal, the more I like it!

How to set it up
    http://www.cacheopedia.com/wiki/GeoBeagle

If you want to see it in action: (bit of language, pg)
    http://androidsocialmedia.com/apps/geob ... roid-style