Thread: Arkansas Cache Placement Guidelines

Arkansas Cache Placement Guidelines

Hi there Arkansas Geocachers... I'm moving back to my homestates after being out of the country since around 2001. I've been caching/placing caches in Asia and most lately, South America and am VERY excited about being back in the good ol' USA again.

I'm sure that there are a have been a few changes in the giudelines for the placement of caches in the state (I noticed that the ONF seems to be a cache-free-zone of sorts) - I looked for a AR cache placement FAQ on this site, and didn't see one with details - sorry if I missed it.

Could someone clue me in on what I might need to know about AR cache placement rules that I should watch out for? (I know the general rules - I've placed A LOT of caches, but I don''t want to make an AR specific placement 'feux-pas')

Thanks! and I'm looking forward to rejoing the AR geocaching community.

- Savoy / Les

Welcome back to Arkansas! I am the reviewer for Arkansas, so if you have any specific question about a cache placement, just send me an email at [email:1e3vl1ol]chuck.walla@hotmail.com[/email:1e3vl1ol].

First of all, the specific areas where permits are required are the state parks, the Ozark-St. Francis and Ouachita National Forests, and a few cities (there is a Forums discussion elsewhere on this). Also, wildlife areas and lakes under the control of the Arkansas Game & Fish Commission require their approval and their requirements are very restrictive (see another Forums discussion for this topic). Other than that, when you place a cache, just follow the Geocaching.com Cache Listing Guidelines/Requirements and you should not have any problem with my review of your cache. Note that most problems occur when cachers place caches too close to another one (less than 528 feet), or near a government building (like a courthouse) or school without explicit permission of someone in authority at those places, or too close to an urban water tower, or too close to any active railroad without some physical barrier. By the way, highway or county road right of ways in the national forests still require their review, although generally they don't require a permit. I'm sure that the members of ArkGeo can also provide some do's and don't's on things that I have not allowed.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your new hides in my review queue soon!

Chuck Walla
    Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer
    "Volunteering is for suckers. Did you know that volunteers don't even get paid for the stuff they do?" -- Homer Simpson

welcome to arkansas the home of the ozarks

Ashallond Guest
    An info FAQ document of all of the different rules might not be a bad idea. Half of what CW mentioned I have no idea where to look beyond the forest issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWalla
    Other than that, when you place a cache, just follow the Geocaching.com Cache Listing Guidelines/Requirements and you should not have any problem with my review of your cache.
    I believe he gave you the list. HERE IS A LINK TO THE GUIDELINESon GC.com. This list of guidelines should cover just about any question you would ever have on cache placement requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWalla
    Other than that, when you place a cache, just follow the Geocaching.com Cache Listing Guidelines/Requirements and you should not have any problem with my review of your cache.
    I believe he gave you the list. HERE IS A LINK TO THE GUIDELINESon GC.com. This list of guidelines should cover just about any question you would ever have on cache placement requirements.
    this is very go0d infomation i was trying to find something like this because i am making me some cachinds right now to hind in the near furture thks : )