Thread: Corvettes and caches!

pshelto Guest

Corvettes and caches!

The significant other and I decided to take a trip to Nashville last weekend and decided we would swing by and visit Bowling Green, Kentucky. Bowling Green is home to the only place in the world where they make the Chevrolet Corvette. It also houses a sweet Corvette museum (where the cache was located).

For those of you interested in cars, check out the GM plant tour. It's probably one of the neatest things I have ever experienced and gives a whole new perspective on cars. The cache (GCXY7V) is also quite nice, especially if you are lost. It is part of a caching across America challenge.

Which brings me to my point, has anyone ever known a cacher that completed this challenge? There is a cache in each of the 50 states and they all have a code that leads to the final cache (which I think will be hidden in Puerto Rico). I can't imagine it being something that people do in a month or two, but rather a yearlong (or longer) challenge.

Are you in?

I met a guy named Webscouter at Geowoodstock who had just completed the challenge. I had heard him be interviewed on a couple of podcasts so I already knew a little about him. He was walking around GWS in a Boy Scout Campaign Hat (aka Smokey Bear Hat). He saw my "BSA534" nametag and stopped to chat. If memory serves me he works for the government and travels a lot. He said it took him about 2 years to complete. I understood him to say the final stage is in Washington DC because he flew to like the last 3 states specifically to make those finds before going to there. Nice guy and very outgoing. Good ambassador for geocaching.

The final is GC12E08

You are right about the tour and the museum, we have stopped there at the museum and gone thru the plant tour also. Our daughter lives in Louisville so we go right by the museum and plant every time we go up there, got the cache there a couple of years ago, we have about 4 or 5 of the CAA caches, will probably never get all 50 but it would be nice,, If you go on up the interstate to Elizabethtown, you will find many many caches, a lot in the Louisville area also...

pshelto Guest

caches

Interesting. Yeah we stopped at Bowling Green and that's as far north as we made it. I would like to one day drive up that way and go as far north and east as I can. I need to check and see where all the CAA caches are and see how many of those towns I have visited or visit on a regular basis. I suppose once they come out with a new model of 'vette, I will make another trip to see the plant again.

Ashallond Guest
    I haven't done the CAA in BG yet, but it is on my list. My wife has family in Bardstown, KY, and I've been allowed to spend one day every time we go to KY that I can go caching. E-town is cache heavy, and if I've researched it correctly, it looks like I'll qualify for the 'one busy day' challenge caches that are various places....get 6 icons in one day.