Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cemetery Caches

The cemetery pictures are awesome. Where did you guys take those? Would love to find a treasure like that!
    “There aren’t enough days in the weekend.”
    Rod Schmidt

astrodav Guest
    I enjoy cemetary caches & can't remember a single one which I thought was done in a disrespectful way .... although I'm sure that has happened. I'm highly religious myself, thus the reason I don't normally do cemetary caches at night. I want to SEE where I am stepping, so as not to walk over them. But that's just a personal thing & it doesn't bother me if others find MY cemetary-caches at night.

I was bothered only one time by a happening at one of my caches. It was a church-cache, not a cemetary-cache. It was actually on my own land, but more easily accessed from a church parking lot, which I even suggested, with permission from the pastor.

But someone decided to look for it when a funeral was taking place. Well ... personal preference I suppose, and I didn't, nor ever will actually say anything about that type thing on the cache-page. But this is just the type of decision which can NEVER do anything GOOD for the appearence of caching. There are certain circumstances & times where that one cache simply isn't worth that one more smiley on your profile ... pass it up for later.

Same applies to cemetarys, no matter if you are religious or not. If a funeral is taking place, or even if there are simply other people there looking at graves, just go on down the road. Smart decisions like this, in places which CAN be "sensitive", such as cemetarys, will keep our sport from being placed under even more restrictions, rules, regulations, & guidelines than it already has.

TheRascals Guest
    GC1E8VG This is the cache where the pictures were taken. I had never seen a grave quite like this one. It is very interesting.

I think it could be viewed as disrespectful to not allow geocaching in a cemetery. I bet some of you would love to have your headstone become a GC with a secret compartment! What if one's mans wish in SC was to have a geocache placed on his grave so his friends and others could find him! Now he can't...That right was just taken away!

In all respect though, if geocachers can pass one up for the return trip or skip it to go on down and then come back when someone else is there then these things never have to be brought up.

We have two cemetery caches that we have placed before it was required to get permission. I doubt the powers over the cemetery would have trouble with them because they are placed out of the way. I think if someone found it and had trouble with it being there...they could just muggle it and leave a note in it's place or leave a note in it saying to please remove it or call them. Problem solved

I don't want to come off as a rule breaker or a "rebel", but sometimes too many rules ruin a good thing. If it is now required I will try and seek permission before we place it so it will hopefully get approved.

to clown4u about your original question...I'm sure someone at the county court house would be able to answer your question and give you permission. It may be handy for certain county locations to have it in writing so if there ever was a problem you have a paper trail

astrodav Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jclaudii
    I bet some of you would love to have your headstone become a GC with a secret compartment!

Huummm....Come to think of it, I HAVEN'T updated my will in a few years.

I agree with your "too many rules ruin a good thing" philosophy, MOST especially with a fun & friendly hobby like geocaching.

And a side-benefit that the cemetary actually RECEIVES from geocaching is that several of us have a little tradition of always leaving something respectful before we leave ..... ever notice that many cemetarys have a donation box? They usually have a little slot on them that is just the right size for your pocket change. SOMEONE has to mow the grass & I know for a fact that at least 2 Yell county cemetarys & 1 Scott county one have a Board of Trustees who are aware of this fact, thus they welcome caching with open arms.

Echo that, Astrodav. I have donated to every cemetery which offered a donation box. As you probably know, the "Salem's Lot" cache (GCXYET) has a donation box that is an ammo can! Maybe if more cemeteries put out donation boxes and had someone to check them often to keep the vandals at bay...

And to the Rascals...I'm having trouble with that link; I'll try again later.

I find myself grabbing my camera half the time and taking plenty of photos at cemeteries--photos of graves, strange tombstones, memorials, the foliage, the churches associated with them. I found an old train car parked by one in McGehee. I found a harmless snake at Woolsey Cem (GCWV1A) that the kids had a great time studying. I've even found relatives of mine that I didn't know existed down in south Arkansas. I found the gravesite of Jesse James, which is right outside the backdoor of where my in-laws live. I never would have known this otherwise.

L2C--something else to make you laugh--I once heard of a geocache that is set at the grave of some fellow named G. O. Cash. For real. Now if I could just find a grave like that somewhere...

gingerose Guest
    Captian cooper take a trip to Jackson, Tennessee and visit a cache named Old George. I have photos around here somewhere but since I have swithced computer...

TheRascals Guest
    Http://drop.io/cemetery

I checked the link and it worked for me ok. By the way this I set the site so anyone could upload cemetery pictures to it if they wanted to. Well I think I set it up that way depends if the tech gods are working for me or not.