Thread: Archiving of "Passion of the Rock" cache without n

LadyEngineer Guest

Archiving of "Passion of the Rock" cache without n

My husband's cousin is a cacher in Mississippi and a cache called "The Passion of the Rock" was archived in Mississippi on the grounds of solication without pre-notification to the owner. There are many comments about this incident on the www.MSga.net website as well as on the archieved cache page http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... bba10dc90b

The actual reason is supposed to be that this is a cache that is promoting religion, but that isn't the reason given for archieving.

Just thought we might need to be aware of this situtation.

RuffRidr Guest
    I started to get involved with the thread in the gc.com forums about this, but I am getting out now. It is getting kinda ugly in there. The part that bothers me most is that Geocaching.com is just supposed to be a listing service. They started not listing caches, based on objections from landowner (ie. caches being buried, caches containing knives, etc.) Then they started making it so caches can't be listed if they are religious, political, or have some other type of agenda. Why? I want to go back to the time when they just listed caches, regardless of content. I mean, jeez, if you read the description of the cache, and its not your cup of tea, don't do it. There are hundreds of thousands of other caches out there. I guess I just don't like being told by others what is acceptable and what is not. Like I said in the post on that topic, this country is getting waaaay to PC for me.

Discouraged,
    --RuffRidr

southdeltan Guest
    There's not a ban on religious themed caches - but there is a ban on PROMOTING your religion. The intent is to prevent people from having stuff crammed down their throat. I think the rules are unclear and fail at that goal.

This particular cache was archived because somebody interpreted it as a solicitation (ie, somebody pushing their religion on somebody else). It's not as far as I can tell.

Based on a comment from Jeremy and my gut instinct - I think this cache will be unarchived.

---

I agree 100% - Jeremy stated he was a libertarian and hated people trampling on his rights. I like the right to choose.

I haven't done a very good job at letting things settle - I try to always call people on a mistake. This cache doesn't violate their cache listing rules as far as I can tell.

---

It looks like things are going to die down.. at least to somebody who is very much for or very much against religion posts something and stirs everything up again... I'm just waiting on their "official" verdict.

sd

Phantom_491 Guest

My $.02

Perhaps if he eliminated the refence to the "Passion of the Christ" movie, (Which is a controversial subject in and of itself), then it might be more acceptable. From what I read of the cache description, that might be the only thing that might offend some people.

Personally, I don't have feelings one way or another. To me it's just a religous themed cache, that if I choose to do it, then I do it. If not then I won't.

My $.02!

Yep, I agree that it should not have been archived. No solicitation was made, as far as I can tell. Just another themed puzzle cache, IMHO. Don't like 'em? Don't do 'em!
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

wray Guest

Re: Archiving of "Passion of the Rock" cache witho

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEngineer
    My husband's cousin is a cacher in Mississippi
    I will be hiding if anybody needs me..

southdeltan Guest
    The cache was unarchived.

southdeltan