Thread: infamous travel bug prision (ITBP)

infamous travel bug prision (ITBP)

Infamous Travel Bug Prison GCG1ZA

Seems our friend red ink grabbed everything out of this one last and Cardinal has posted some news on the site of the cache. I'm not sure if there are any bugs left in this cache or not, but with the area possibly being "off limits" to help control the spread of the "white nose syndrome", which kills bats, this cache and it's contents could be forgotten.

I just wanted to post about it here instead of on the logs like this cache is famous for. Also, this cache was on my "re-do" list, and if there is anything left, I may have to go try and break a few out. Also, if anyone is from the area, perhaps you could find out more if the area is going to be "off limits" soon and could make arrangements with whomever for us to retrieve the cache so it in itself does not get imprisoned.

redink Guest
    J,

I was in the Withrow area today at an auction. I spoke
    to a Ranger there, the caves at this time ARE NOT closed.

It is true however that there are no trackables in the cave.
    We dropped all of them at Sweden Creek Falls that same afternoon.

Sweden Creek is a great cache, I highly recommend it. The
    falls should be bustin' wide open after all the rain we have had here.
    I think the falls are around the 80' in height.

edieo Guest
    This sounds like a awesome cache I'm gonna have to check it out

remember there are no caches in it at the moment edieo, so plan on locking a few up. This one has been on our radar since we could not find it last time. We know it's there, as red ink found it last, so we'll just have to step up our game. I guess we'll have to start hording some bugs to put into this thing.

edieo Guest
    Ok I'll try to round a few up and maybe I'll be able to find it ... .

redink Guest
    You folks to the South , give me holler before coming north.

we can round up some trackables up here if you want and do a few caches.

Looks like the Infamous Travel Bug Prison (I.T.B.P.) GCG1ZA has been archived.
    Log Date: 9/2/2010
    ***Archive Post***

I write this post to let everyone know that the Infamous Travel Bug Prison (I.T.B.P.) will now be archived. For some, the difficulty in holding back tears will be overwhelming. For others, smiles will be seen on their faces for days. This geocache has lived up to its name. As The Warden, I can tell you that rehabilitating travel bugs has been an experience I shall not soon forget. While typing this post is hard, I am, however, reassured that our travel bug transfer will happen and these bugs shall be rehabilitated. It's not fair to them or the travel bug owners to have them be let out into society to run amuck. There have been talks of an I.T.B.J. and we are in the final stages. Rest assured - they will be incarcerated.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns about these troublesome creatures as we will be relocating them very soon.

-THE WARDEN
    I had wanted to go find this one but never got the chance but it seems there is a travel bug jail in the works. I may have to go help in a jailbreak someday.

Although I hate to see any cache archived, it is good news to see this one go. I have been an active caver for many years, and as such I am aware of the fragile ecological systems contained in caves, and the many dangers of their inhabitants. The white-nose syndrome has been spreading rapidly and has reached Tennessee and Oklahoma. Although no cases have been reported in Arkansas, all caves on federal and state-owned lands are closed. The particular cave that held this cache is a small one, and the bat population there is very low, but several of the caves in the Madison County Game Management Area are much larger, and are home to thousands of bats. The White-nose syndrome is a serious threat to the bats, whose ecological importance is greatly unappreciated and misunderstood by the general population. Any measures that are taken to improve their chances of survival are a good thing.