Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any hikers?

dallaswynn Guest

Any hikers?

Hello all. I am an avid hiker and was just curious if there were any other hikers out there? I would like to find some hiking partners, but don't know any in my area. I do a lot of hiking in the St. Paul area (Bear Country). I have all necessary equipment for protection, however I do advise everyone carry there own bear spray. Any takers? All of my hikes are overnighters.

edieo Guest
    I hike every chance I can get but don't really have all the stuff I need to hike in to camp yet ...

dallaswynn Guest

What exactly do you have??

What don't you have or do you have? As long as you have a pack, tent, sleeping bag, and food/water, you should be good. I have encountered black bears were I go on a couple of occasions, and I think as long as you carry a marine fog horn (bought at Wal-Mart) you should be fine. On my last encounter with a black bear, I simply gave two short blasts from the horn at the bear and it was history. The reason I say you should carry your own is really only for your protection at night. I don't share my tent, as it is small, so you might want your own horn just in case. I carry first aid supplies, all we would need in an emergency, so you don't have to worry there. As a U.S. Marine (01-05), I am trained in survival first aid. I also carry epinephrine, so I would need to know if you have any allergies just in case. Let me know if you might be interested in hiking sometime. That being said, I am not nearly in the physical condition I was in the Corps, so I do go a little slow and like to b**** at the hills while climbing them . As long as you have the basics, it would just be cool to have company sometimes as I usually go solo.

Just wondering... after you used your horn to run off the bear... did you go back to sleep or pack up and head out!?!?

dallaswynn Guest

Fog Horn....

Hello BSA534!! My last encounter was a funny trip actually. However, to answer your question, I definitely continued my hike and camped for the night less than a quarter mile from the sighting. I have a thread in the "Geocaching Adventures" forum titled "Bear Adventures" where I have introduced myself and recalled my first encounter. You should check it out!! I am not afraid of the bears anymore. After my first encounter, I did massive research on black bears and now have a broad knowledge of "Smokey". I relish the opportunity to see them.......from a distance.

edieo Guest
    I'm not afraid of bears either I've come across two so far while hiking they seem more afriad of me ..lol.. I have a tent and sleeping bag but there a little big for backpacking ...

dallaswynn Guest

Edieo

I don't have an extra sleeping bag, however I do have a small tent. How tall are you?

edieo Guest
    I'm 5 feet 4 inch ...lol

bluesybreeze Guest
    Topic Review
    edieo I'm 5 feet 4 inch ...lol
    5 feet 4 inches
    ya know I luv ya, however this is October 1...NOT April 1

edieo Guest
    Now girl friend ya know I'm that tall