Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GPS Search Help

LongDogs Guest

GPS Search Help

I don't know anything more about this than the following, but I wanted to go ahead pass it along without delay...

My name is Mark Phillips from SS Recovery Service LLC out of Arizona. I am looking for some help in the Ark-Mo-Tenn-Miss-OK area recovering balloon launched communication devices that fly at up to 100,000 ft.

They are tracked with gps and after flight, are detached from the balloon and fall back to earth via a parachute.(big(6 ft dia) and ORANGE easy to see)

I can provide gps position data accurate to up to 5 decimal places.

To learn more about this project go to www.skysite.com (me) and www.spacedata.net (my client) I provide recovery services for Space Data.

I currently have a 8 units SOG(SkySite On Ground) in Ark & MO. You can go to www.skysite.com and click on the State of Interest and see the approx loactions of those units. These approx coord's are isted below.

Arkansas
    Flight # Longitude Latitude Status
    1044 33.9 -93.7 SOG
    1047 34.0 -94.4 SOG
    3032 36.2 -93.2 SOG
    3033 36.4 -92.4 SOG
    3034 36.4 -93.2 SOG
    3035 35.6 -92.8 SOG
    Missouri
    3030 36.7 -93.3 SOG
    3031 36.6 -93.3 SOG

I need to find people who can use a gps to help in the recovery efforts. I am paying a bounty of between $25 - $50 for each unit recovered. Some units might have a higher bounty on them.

I currently have geocachers signed up in Arizona(home base) TX, OK, LA. I need people in Ark, Mo, Tenn & Miss.

To see some reports on the first recovery's in Texas, check out the Texas Geocaching Associaton website forum thread here
    http://www.texasgeocaching.com/forum/to ... IC_ID=2142

Any help you can provide would be welcome.

I will also post to some of the others on this list looking for support in this effort.

Respectfully

Mark Phillips
    ssinfo@skysite.com
    www.skysite.com

SkySite Guest
    Long Dogs

Thanks you for posting this from the other forum.

To All:
    Please check out both the www.skysite.com website and the link above to the Texas website that just started recoverys today.

If anyone has any question, please post here of via the email address.

BTW, just to clarify, the coordinates are in decmial coordinates, so a complete coordinate might look like 45.92341 -91.74357

1044 _____33.9___-93.7 SOG
    1047 _____34.0 ___- 94.4 SOG
    3032 _____36.2 ___-93.2 SOG
    3033 _____36.4____-92.4 SOG
    3034 _____36.4____-93.2 SOG
    3035______35.6____-92.8 SOG

Missouri
    3030_____36.7____-93.3 SOG
    3031_____36.6____-93.3 SOG

Also, here is a GREAT link for your searching, it will give you several maps(streat level, topo and Sat photos wiht marker) It hase proved to be very helpful to others searching for Skysites.

One other adjustment you will have to make when searching, dont look for a "camo'd" hide. As you can see by the pics on the www.skysite.com site of the TXGA site, its aobut 24 inches long and 10 inches square. It has a BIG 6 ft dia International Orange Parachute so it easy to spot.

Here is a picture that mudfrog in Texas took today.

GEO Guest
    Somebody is ahead of me.

Quote from my group.

My name is Mark Phillips from SS Recovery Service LLC out of
    Arizona. I am looking for some help in the Ark-Mo-Tenn-Miss-OK area
    recovering balloon launched communication devices that fly at up to
    100,000 ft.

They are tracked with gps and after flight, are detached from the
    balloon and fall back to earth via a parachute.(big(6 ft dia) and
    ORANGE easy to see)

I can provide gps position data accurate to up to 5 decimal places.

To learn more about this project go to www.skysite.com (me) and
    www.spacedata.net (my client) I provide recovery services for
    Space Data.

I currently have a 8 units SOG(SkySite On Ground) in Ark & MO. You
    can go to www.skysite.com and click on the State of Interest and see
    the approx loactions of those units. These approx coord's are isted
    below.

Arkansas
    1044 33.9 -93.7 SOG
    1047 34.0 -94.4 SOG
    3032 36.2 -93.2 SOG
    3033 36.4 -92.4 SOG
    3034 36.4 -93.2 SOG
    3035 35.6 -92.8 SOG
    Missouri
    3030 36.7 -93.3 SOG
    3031 36.6 -93.3 SOG

I need to find people who can use a gps to help in the recovery
    efforts. I am paying a bounty of between $25 - $50 for each unit
    recovered. Some units might have a higher bounty on them.

I currently have geocachers signed up in Arizona(home base) TX, OK,
    LA. I need people in Ark, Mo, Tenn & Miss.

To see some reports on the first recovery's in Texas, check out the
    Texas Geocaching Associaton website forum thread here
    http://www.texasgeocaching.com/forum/to ... IC_ID=2142

Any help you can provide would be welcome.

I will also post to some of the others on this list looking for
    support in this effort.

REspectfully

Mark Phillips
    ssinfo@skysite.com
    www.skysite.com

LongDogs Guest

One Important Point

One very important point.

If you go after one of these, be aware that they may be on private property, and the land owner will not likely be aware that it is even there.

Be sure you get permission from the land owner before entering private property to look for one of these.

SkySite Guest
    LD

You are so correct.

In Texas, that is the hardest part of the recovery, getting access to the land. The Rules of Conduct post on the www.skysite.com site talks all about this. It is one of the documents tha thas to be signed before participating.

The good thing is, that once the land owner has been contacted and they are told why access to their land is needed, they have been very helpful is granting access to the "agents" in the field.

Sometimes it takes a few days to find out who the land owner is. but we have not been denied access yet(he says with fingers crossed )

In Arizona on the other hand, the hard part is that we have a ton of BLM/state owned land that is open range and can be access by anyone.

We had unit that an agent has parked within 1.7 "map miles" from the unit, but the round trip from the truck took 5 hours, because it was near the top of a 9500 foot peak. Besides the bush wacking, trying to suck oxygen out of that thin air can be a challange

GEO Guest
    Very good point LD.

From their site.
    RULES OF CONDUCT
    FOR PARTICIPANTS
    IN
    SS RECOVERY SERVICE LLC
    SKYSITE RECOVERY PROGRAM

This document is a general guideline as to common sense rules to abide by when conducting not only SkySite recoveries for SSRS, but for any outdoor activities. This list is not meant to be exclusive in its coverage, but to be used as a general guideline.

SkySite recovery is a NON IMPACT, Leave No Trace , Eco-friendly process!

The SkySite Recovery Program, like other outdoor activities, involve some level of risk, to yourself, others and to property. You are responsible for determining if you wish to accept that risk and therefore are also responsible in making the necessary judgments to determine if you are skilled and able, are in good physical condition and have all the necessary information, including, but not limited to, weather conditions, gear and supplies, to safely participate in the recovery of any SkySite.

1. Never put yourself in any dangerous or life threatening situation for SSRS and or the recovery of a SkySite.

2. Always stay within your comfort, skill and ability level when doing any SkySite recovery. Whether you are driving, hiking or just walking, always stay within your abilities and skill level.

If a SkySite is in a location where you, or your companions, are put in danger or “harms way” or could be injured or someone else could be injured, by attempting to recover a SkySite, you should not attempt that recovery.

You are responsible for using good judgment and common sense in your SkySite Recovery Program efforts. SSRS, is in no way, responsible for your actions or judgment or lack there of, when undertaking the recovery of a SkySite.

3. NEVER enter, cross or venture upon private property or areas closed to access by the general public, including State, Federal, Military or Indian Reservations, to search for and/or recover a SkySite. You must obtain verbal/written permission from the “private entity” before proceeding to attempt to recover any SkySite on such private sites.

If you cannot obtain, written/verbal permission prior to entering such private area, property or lands, you should contact SSRS, who will then attempt to obtain permission for SSRS authorized participants to enter that private area.

It may take SSRS an undetermined amount of time to obtain entry permission for access to such areas. There is no guaranty that SSRS will obtain permission for entry to such areas. In that case, the SkySite will be deemed un-recoverable by SSRS. No fees will be paid for any of these “unrecoverable SkySites”.

4. Never disturb, alter or destroy any plants, vegetation, animals, natural or manmade objects, native or cultural artifacts, in an attempt to recover a SkySite.

5. Pack IN-Trash OUT. Pack out all trash or garbage.

6. Obey all traffic signs and traffic laws. State traffic laws apply to the National Forests, unless otherwise specified. When operating vehicles of any kind, do not damage the land or vegetation or disturb wildlife. Avoid driving on unpaved roads or trails when they are wet or muddy. Do not block, restrict or interfere with the use of roads or trails. Obey area and trail restrictions on use of trail bikes and other off road vehicles.
    This list in not meant to be inclusive and other common sense rules may apply. This list is meant to provide general guidelines to observe when in the outdoors, whether recovering a SkySite or during your normal outings.

SkySite Guest
    Anybody game for these this weekend? I am trying to get a commitment on these bacause Space Data has a currier in the area that is going up here(N Ark) to pickup a unit found by a third party and they were going to try and find these this weekend.

Thats mean, if I dont, they will. If I tell them I have people going after these, I can hold them off of these units.

Any takers?

Does this sound desperate? If it does you are right

cachecrazies Guest
    We're definately interested in looking for these - but we haven't gotten the information (on the website) mailed to you yet.

It sounds like several are very nearby!

LongDogs Guest

Snail Mail in the agreement?

Quote Originally Posted by SkySite
    Anybody game for these this weekend? I am trying to get a commitment on these bacause Space Data has a currier in the area that is going up here(N Ark) to pickup a unit found by a third party and they were going to try and find these this weekend.

Thats mean, if I dont, they will. If I tell them I have people going after these, I can hold them off of these units.

Any takers?

Does this sound desperate? If it does you are right
    I think the issue is with getting the agreement printed, signed, and mailed back to you via snail mail. Perhaps with fax or if we could work out a verbal (or e-mail) agreement, several of us could look, but I'm not sure it would get there by this weekend otherwise.

SkySite Guest
    I dont have a fax, but a scanned first and last page of the ICA and the ROC, emailed will do the trick as long as it is followed up via snail mail with the hard copy.

Sorry about the fax thing but when your spending $50/mo on ink/toner because of junk spam faxes, it was time to retire it.