Thread: GPS Adventures Maze Exhibit

GPS Adventures Maze Exhibit

For those wondering about the schedule of the GPS Adventures Maze Exhibit, here is a copy of an email that I just received from Pamela Beasley, Superintendent Arkansas Museum of Natural Resources in Smackover.

Here is the schedule for the GPS Adventures Arkansas exhibit. The exhibit will only be featured in one Arkansas State Park –The Arkansas Museum of Natural Resources in Smackover. Install dates will vary, please contact the appropriate museum for exact dates.

Arts & Science Center Pine Bluff March 2010

Arkansas State Univ Museum Jonesboro September 2010

Museum of Discovery Little Rock March 2011

Univ of AR Fayetteville September 2011

Texarkana Museums Texarkana March 2012

Mid America Museum Hot Springs September 2012

I had a great time on my visit to see this great exhibit and recommend it to everyone.

i may atten the Museum of Discovery Little Rock March 2011
    00oh wait thats next yr is there anything this year??

I've been looking for an excuse to visit Pine Bluff. Looks like I have one now!

astrodav Guest
    PB sometimes gets a bad rap. But my last year in the military was spent at a do-nothing job at PB Arsenal, simply awaiting my disability/retirement package to be finalized. (It's a tricky procedure & the slightest mistake by the admin guys can screw you for life)

This gave me ALOT of time to enjoy what PB had to offer. I made lots of friends there, most of whom haved moved on. The bowling center is great, as is the pub in the Pines Mall & the Cpt's Quarters club. Bad Bob's club was a fun place to hang out. The mall is very festive during the winter holiday season.

Lots of history to see also, like the Cotton Belt museum, Grider Field, & others. I've been to LOTS of county fairs & several state fairs. The Jefferson County Fair is by far the VERY best of any...big, but not too crowded. And unlike many fairs where you'll wind up spending 4 thousand $$$'s for a whistle & a spider ring, they practically GAVE prizes away there, most especially if you had a kid with you. (That's why I always made sure to grab a kid when I headed that way....I just LUV toys. )

I spent a great many evenings learning the city & it has alot of fun areas, like the Bayou Bartholemew park in the south end. PB Arsenal has little in the way of housing for senior enlisted, as I was, so I was put up in a brand new (at the time) & VERY nice apartment. I never once had a bit of trouble, which PB is often noted for, such as a shooting nearby, pipe bomb, druggies hanging around, bad stuff like that.

I really liked the city, more so than when I lived in Little Rock. I wish it could get rid of the bad rep it usually gets & also wish something would happen to boost it's economy up a bit. I think it's the only large cities in Arkansas that has actually LOST population over the last 20-30 years. And it doesn't deserve that.

If you're interested at all in trains, be sure to go to the old Cotton Belt gravity yard & spend a couple hours watching them sort cars & put trains together. That's really neat, watching 5 or 6 cars at the same time rolling off the hill & being routed to different tracks.

There's also a BBQ in the middle of town somewhere, but I'd just have to drive & find it again. My girlfriend at the time use to drag me down there to eat their special MUSTARD based BBQ sauce. She loved it, but it was a bit too "different" for me. I think, if I remember correctly, she called that a New Orleans style, or maybe it was New England style. But I'll stick with my tomato based type.

mndvs737 Guest
    When will this be open in Jonesboro? I had the Pine Bluff location on my watchlist, and we were planning on going this weekend, based on the webpage saying that it would be in Pine Bluff through Sept 27th. Got a watchlist email with a cache note referencing it being gone, and when I checked the page, it is now closed as of Sept 18th. Kind of bummed, as we were looking forward to seeing the maze, and also getting 6 cache type icons in one day on our trip home.

Ashallond Guest
    http://www.arkansasdiscoverynetwork.org ... edule.html

This is all that I know. I would contact the two museums to see if they have any details as to when it is closed/opening. I am curious about the Jonesboro dates in march because i do in fact plan my saga around the state during my spring break, so I'd like to pick up a GPS adventure icon while I am out there

GPS Adventures Arkansas Exhibit Schedule

June/July 2009 - March 28, 2010 — Arkansas Museum of Natural Resources, Smackover
    April 3 - September 26, 2010 — Arts & Science Center for Southeast Arkansas, Pine Bluff
    October 2, 2010 - March 2011 — Arkansas State University Museum, Jonesboro
    March - September, 2011 — Museum of Discovery, Little Rock
    September 2011 - March 2012 — University of Arkansas Discovery Zone, Fayetteville
    March - September 2012 — Discovery Place Children's Museum, Texarkana Museums System, Texarkana
    September 2012 - March 2013 — Mid-America Science Museum, Hot Springs
    One cache at a time!

Thank you Mathseeker for posting this schedule. We have not had the opportunity to visit the maze yet, but are looking forward to it. This schedule will help us plan when we can get there.

It turns out that the GPS Adventures Arkansas Exhibit is not going to the Museum of Discovery in Little Rock because of construction, but to Texarkana - opening there on the 26th. It will be in the Discovery Place Children's Museum (GC2Q340). It will remain in Texarkana until September 18th and will open in Fayetteville on September 24th.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Ashallond Guest
    I was wondering why it had switched off of the schedule. I assume it will go to LR once it can.