Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oklaoma Event

Oklaoma Event

We have always appreciated the efforts of people who host or assist in hosting an event. And we know from experience how much work is involved. An event was attempted in Northeast Oklahoma this past week/weekend. We were very disappointed at this event because of lack of planning and organization and the location. Several geofriends paid money for merchandise (t-shirts/geocoins/lanyards) that was promised and never delivered at this event. We even had some phone calls with the event owner at the time we registered and paid our money, but very few of the promised activities actually happened. There was no food or drink service in a very isolated location in spite of the fact that the owner promised that an air conditioned cafe would be on site and open. There were only a handful of logable caches in this isolated area in spite of the fact that the owner promised at least 100 caches of all terrain and difficulty levels. When we arrived, we were told that the only caches available at the time were the poker run and none of those caches were of terrains that were accessible without at least one hour of walking on trails in various conditions of shape. Other cachers have reported they had a good time and look forward to returning next year. We respect their opinions but we wonder how many events they have attended in the past. Thanks for letting us vent.

My wife and I had originally posted a "Will Attend" for the event, but at the last minute we decided not to go for several reasons, one of which was the heat. It turned out to be cooler, but we were not going to take the chance. I had hoped it would be a good event...

What has astonished us about this event is the number of attendees -- including some experienced cachers who are posting positive comments!

"Wonderful location", "Cant wait for next year" and the like have been posted more often than our TFTC.

We didn't talk to any AR cachers who "couldn't wait for next year". I guess this speaks more to the standards that AR cachers expect than anything else.

edieo Guest
    I have to say I was sadly disappointment and I believe the host will not be sending everything in the mail as promised .I also have read some of the logs and wondered and about them. This event didn't live up to what was promised.

gingerose Guest
    I wonder if groundspeak needs to be notified about this. I would hate to think they could host another event with similar methods/outcomes.

??? attended EBE Event
    We were close by....does that count? Didn't see the bonfire. Had weiners, bun, mustard, pickle relish, napkins, chips, an appetite...and.... didn't see the fire. Sniff Sniff
    Maybe this is the kind of cacher posting all those positive comments about the "BIG" event.

??? attended EBE Event
    I guess we needed some smoke signals or something...we missed the fire. Had to eat plain old rotissery chicken, new potatos, cole slaw, baked beans, and garden fresh sliced tomatoes. Yuck...missed the roasted marshmallows too! Next year we will HUNT YOU DOWN!!
    Here is another one, I guess I should log that I attended too but just could not find the right road out of Hot Springs to get there but I will be there next year.

Were these events that far out in the sticks that even people with a gps could not find the event location???

Ashallond Guest
    Apparently it was for some people.

I'm somewhat glad that I DIDN'T go to it....I guess I just had a feeling about it for some reason. Too much vaguery and not enough specific details, or confirmed updates.

Guess some people just wanted an excuse to go rough it in the middle of nowhere for a few nights, and if that makes them happy, then so be it.

Now we are eally starting to see the truth in the logs being posted now. Check out the ones from the last few days. GC1JE5R

I am so glad I turned them down when I was asked to help in the planning of this event.

Ashallond Guest
    yikes. a phantom coin maker and a phantom shirt maker.

Brilliant.

And, apparently IdahoGI, the guy who is apparently the cause of many of these problems, also got banned from geocaching.com according to his profile.