Thread: Locationless (Reverse) Caches

Locationless (Reverse) Caches

Being somewhere between a "Newby" and an "Old Timer" I know that Groundspeak no longer allows new Virtual caches. You can still find the existing ones but no new ones can be placed.

Makes me wonder about Locationless (Reverse) Caches. Looks like those ended at the end of 2005 or so. I know a lot of you have found these caches before. Can you tell a little about them? Did you have a favorite Reverse Cache? Did you ever place one?

Wow! This brings back memories. I loved Locationless Caches. Wish we could still log them. They were so much fun and some were really packed with history. I learned things about our country and our state that I probably would have gone my entire life not knowing otherwise. There were so many that I liked it's hard to pick a favorite, but here are 3 that stand out to me.

GC819A GCBCBA GC6389

BTW, I don't know how many know this, but Jeep's relationship with Geocaching and the starting of the Jeep TBs was a result of Locationless caching. One locationless cache was a yellow jeep.

Hereis a link to a list of all locationless caches.

We only did a couple of locationless caches. It just didn't seem like caching to us. More of a scavenger hunt, I suppose.

They do, however, still live on. Check out terracaching.com there are many of them over there and more are being added every day. And yes, they can be fun to do once you get used to tc.com's interface and slowness.

Thats cool Pat. We were just in Helena a few weeks ago. Wish we had known about the boxcar. I'd never even heard about that before. Very interesting indeed.

I've found a cache located near the indian head at Riverfront Park. Didn't know the history about it though.

chadbishop Guest
    i logged a few on terracaching.com. I agree with TnT though, it doesnt feel anything like traditional caching. I would get home from a trip and go through the list of reverse caches on terracaching.com and realize i had missed a few i could have had. on a side note, i found my first physical terracache yesterday and was reading about the point system there and its really awesome. its definitely worth checking out.

I'd never heard of Merci Boxcars either until sailorscodgers from Sacramanto CA logged Craigs Playground back in May. In his profile he listed as one of his hobbies going to see merci boxcars, he has visited 10 so far. I thought the Merci boxcar story was pretty interesting. I have not seen the one in Arkansas but did visit the North Carolina Merci car in Spencer North Carolina this summer. Another interesting piece of history I would not have known anything about if it wern't for geocaching. Pat I have been wondering since May how you ever found the one in Arkansas.

Jim, there was a link on the cache page that listed the box cars by state. It really is something to see and I hope you will get the opportunity to visit there.
    That is just one example of the history associated with the locationless caches. I also learned that Congress had a replica of the Liberty Bell made for each state. Ours is one the Capitol grounds in Little Rock.
    Other bits of history that I learned was where Arkansas one lone recipient of the Congressional Metal of Honor is buried.
    How about a city in Kentucky that has been evacuated because of a underground coal mine fire that has been burning for almost 50 years.
    These and lots more are things that I remember from hunting locationless caches. They were not like regular caches, but were fun as well as educational for me.

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodwalker9
    BTW, I don't know how many know this, but Jeep's relationship with Geocaching and the starting of the Jeep TBs was a result of Locationless caching. One locationless cache was a yellow jeep.
    Three or four years ago I went to the cardboard boat races at Heber Springs and when leaving, one of the men directing traffic at a nearby intersection had a yellow jeep. I remembered seeing a locationless cache for yellow jeeps so I stopped, took pictures and waypoints, and went on. Later I searched for the yellow jeep locationless cache but couldn't find it, so I never logged it. It's still a mystery to me what happened to it.

grzz51 Guest
    Pat, that Merci Boxcar is right in front of the old BSA Troop 13 scout hut where I spent a lot of years as the Scoutmaster before the East Arkansas Area Council folded and I retired from scouting.