Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice- Please Help

You might try getting some of that steel cable at Tractor Supply and using it to "anchor" your cache to it's location. Granted, it would be easier to find, but the perp isn't going to be getting away with it without some cutting pliers.

Another option could be to make the caches even harder to find. Replace a few with a difficulty of 5 Nano's, at least the people who have found them before will come back to look for them again possibly.

If you do go with the game camera, try putting it in the parking area so he is not in the "looking" mode and spot your camera. You also might get a License Plate and I'm sure we could figure out who it is . If you go the game camera route, make sure you have one that is an infrared flash or turn the flash off so as not to alert the perp.

I just thought of this one, set up a new cache and just pay some local kids some Mt. Dew, 500 paintballs, and some sandwiches to sit and wait for whomever actually takes the cache without the intent on coming back.

AFM, I'm a little bit of a redneck sometimes, especially when it comes to a thief! I hate a thief! Anyway, I have some redneck ideas as to what to do here, but I will need to do a little research to see if it will work. I'll holler at ya via E-mail.
    QC
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!!

edieo Guest
    Geez and I thought I had a problem with the guy claiming finds on my caches but not signing the logs ,,even the ones with pens in them ...!

chadbishop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by arkfiremedic
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbishop
    i guess you guys have been caching a while so ill tell my my perspective since im pretty new to caching. even though this other guy might have proof of who was messing with his caches, that still doesnt prove anything about yours. its like saying the guy they caught breaking into your neighbors house 2 months after yours was broke into is probably the same guy. it probably is, but today, theres lots of people who will fit the bill. im actually surprised we can keep any caches out. what i think should be a feature is that you can force ignore a certain person from your caches and also retrieve a list of accounts who have viewed your cache. i think you should contact groundspeak. even though the other guy said he did, he may not have asked the right way. maybe they will take you serious and look into it. you should send them all the info you have, dates when you first noticed the caches muggled. try to connect all the dots for them. i know a guy around camden who sent me a friend request when my username was still "chadbishop" on geocaching.com. he said, are you the chadbishop from conway, accept my friend request. i was very surprised to see him on there as he sounds like one of the people you are describing. also, jason, if you happen to read this someday, yes im talking about you.
    Trust me I understand the whole concept you are describing. I have worked in law enforcement for 10 years in addition to being a fire medic. I appreciate your response. I love your idea about ignoring people- similar to Facebook. Yes, for your information I AM ignoring someone in Facebook It is highly suspicious, but I don't have near the proof the NW Louisiana cacher does. He has LOTS of proof, and he offered it as a suggestion and only to alert me to the fact that even if I did "get the goods" there was nothing I could do about it. It was mentioned by Groundspeak to call the police. What would you say? Uhh... Yes I uhh got this little "thingy" call a umm a NANO and it is about the size of pencil eraser and uhh I have seen them cost any were from about $1 to about $6 and uhh I left it on a stop sign and uhh I think (insert prime suspects name here) got it TWICE! I'm less than 30 minutes from Camden, but I don't know who you are talking about from that area. Thanks again for your reply.
    how big a fella are you? maybe just confronting him would do the trick. is he hitting caches at random or do you see a pattern? could you just post a new cache and stake it out and more than likely catch him in the act? some more detail id like to know. is he more than likely hitting alot down there or just singling you guys out?

[/quote]how big a fella are you? maybe just confronting him would do the trick. is he hitting caches at random or do you see a pattern? could you just post a new cache and stake it out and more than likely catch him in the act? some more detail id like to know. is he more than likely hitting alot down there or just singling you guys out?[/quote]

I have learned long ago being the confrontational type will get you killed or seriously maimed these days. He has never hit a "new" cache before. Only ones that have been around for a while. There is a pattern though to what he steals. If he has been hitting any more I don't know about it. I didn't know about it until the NW Louisiana cacher had read my archive note on a cache he had been watching. I'm going to try to not worry about it. I have set myself a limit and after I exceed that limit the cache will be archived. Hate to be like that, but this is supposed to be fun and not work.

You might try making your future hides puzzle caches. I imagine that whoever is taking your caches is too lazy to try to figure out the real coordinates. Jaygill started doing that a while back because he kept having his ammo cans stolen. He would have to comment, but I think it has worked OK for him.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

pshelto Guest
    Interesting. I know of a cacher who often speaks of being a cache pirate, but is always kidding about it, especially since he has caches of his own now. Being from the Camden area, and to keep my record clean, I will tell you it isn't me. Of course, if it was would I tell you? Probably not. Unfortunately I am smitten by your bottlecap caches (or perhaps they are lens cases).

I have had to archive a cache that I believe was muggled (the one in the tree on the hill). I couldn't find it and I can't see it just going missing like it did.

Otherwise I haven't experienced such tom-foolery. Good luck with it. Hope your "rigged" cache doesn't turn out to the be the 1st one I steal some day.

pshelto Guest
    So what did you decide to do? While we're on the topic of thievery, what is up with trackables disappearing? I don't see the value to a muggle.

I haven't had any trackables stolen that I know of YET. Tonight I decided to rehide AR-Hick's Evil micro with an equally NASTY hide given to me from "cachemates". I returned to GZ and found the AR-Hick Evil Micro had been returned and haphazardly thrown to the general area of GZ. Ironically yesterday I hid a AR-Hick Evil Micro Redeaux between Smackover and Norphlet for the event and today I return to find this one just thrown close to the area of GZ that I am POSITIVE was not there the previous 5 or 6 times I looked for it and it was in the plain open tonight. Guilty conscious or coincidence? I'll never know. I've been hiding several caches along with 2ter for the event, including many redo's making them a mulit or otherwise change them to prevent blatant theft (not the occasional, unintentional muggle).

1. You did email CW the GC# and ask to have it unarchived?

2.Maybe it was a poor hobo who thought it was real and when he found out it wasn't returned it because it looked like a good place for it.

3.Are you sure that you weren't having Heat Stroke, Fever with hallucinations, Skeeters causing blood lose and the drop in Blood preasure caused you to overlook it

Lastly I am glad it has returned no worse for the wear. Could someone been so amazed that they had to try and copy it I am sure that lots of cachers will find it this weekend, but I will be at work. Have fun and I will reading the logs if it gets unarchived.
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison