Thread: GPS recommendation

Ashallond Guest

GPS recommendation

ok, I've been using an iphone to do my caching, and well, at times it sucks, mainly when I'm in woods or areas where it can't pick up any signals to keep itself accurate. In towns, it's awesome.

So I'm slowly talking the wife into letting me get a companion GPS to help for those times when I want to go out in the woods.

She's already said a $200 GPS is out (that'd be the cost of the phone) and so I was looking at the garmin e-trek line.

So question....is this a decent line to look at for the money, or would you possibly suggest something else?

We started and still have a Garmin Legend. They are a great GPS to start with, as far as we are concerned. The Legend is the GPS that both of our children and their families use, and they have had no problems learning how to use them. Oh, and they are great for placing caches.... Hint... hint... {)

likestocanoe
    “There aren’t enough days in the weekend.”
    Rod Schmidt

I found my bro-in-law a Legend HCx, which is a color GPS with a nice size screen. We got it on eBay used for $100. It has a UPS port so you can download caches to it from GSAK or directly from gc.com using the Garmin plug-in.

You can find out more about that model here:
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8701#featureTab

If you find a model you want to know more about, ask here, theres a good chance someone on the board will be familiar with it.

Good luck!
    Tim

pshelto Guest
    I sorta agree with the $200 price tag so I got the delorme pn-20. It came out to about 140 or so after the discounts. Then I borrowed a pn-40 (way too expensive for me) and I LOVE it. well worth the extra paychecks. I like delorme because they specialize in hiking GPSrs

chadbishop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pshelto
    I sorta agree with the $200 price tag so I got the delorme pn-20. It came out to about 140 or so after the discounts. Then I borrowed a pn-40 (way too expensive for me) and I LOVE it. well worth the extra paychecks. I like delorme because they specialize in hiking GPSrs
    ya. i dont have a pn-20 but the speed upgrade alone is worth it. i wasnt sure how much into caching id be so i went with the pn-20. which i love. now im wishing i had bought the pn-40. before using my pn-20 i was using an iphone. what i like about delorme is the subscription for like 30 bucks a month to download all the other datasets. aerial, sat, the fact that they support sdhc means you can have 16 or 32GB of storage for those datasets. if you want a pn-20 ill knock some off my used one and sell it to you that way. then ill go buy a pn-40.