Thread: Delorme PN40

vstromcharlie Guest

Delorme PN40

I just purchased a Delorme PN40, wow! I love this thing. I went caching yesterday with the intent of finding two caches and found both. The PN40 took me with 2' of one and dead on top of the other.

Not bad, and I got it for $239 from Amazon so I got a deal to share. I am loving geocaching guess I am hooked.

Is there a twelve step program in case I need it?

bluesybreeze Guest
    Nope, no 12 step program available. However, there are a lot of other addicts here to cheer you on and help introduce you to the fun. Hello and welcome to the game. It is truly a blast.

flannelman Guest
    I don't know much bout that unit but I have heard several people who said they like them. I'd like to give one a look just out of curiosity. I just got a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx and I love it. Welcome to the addiction!

I bought a Garmin 60CSx over a year ago along with maps. I don't know how I cached without it, but my next GPSr purchase will probably be the PN-40.

I ran into Lookout Lisa (of Cache Advance) at GeoWoodstock 7 and she showed me her PN-40. It does appear to have some great features, TOPO maps to go along with the regular maps. It also allows you to go paperless by putting the listings on the unit. It also shows the GC.com "icons" for the caches, so you can tell if it is a traditional, multi, puzzle, virtual, or etc. just from the icon on your screen.

We might also buy the Geomate Jr. at some point. It only holds traditional caches, but it would be handy on those road trips you might not have a PQ ready for. The Geomate Jr. runs about $70 and will have an update cord available soon.

majii Guest
    I swear by my PN-40. I'm completely paperless and thoroughly enjoying it. I'm not sure how I got by with just my old Maggie.

Paris1time, you can make your 60csx show the icons from GC.com as well when you upload with cachemate. I believe I have a thread on here somewhere about how I did it to mine. I'll have to have a look at this new device sometime in the future. If anyone does "upgrade" to one and wants to sell me their old garmin maps, give me a shout.

pshelto Guest
    I have a pn-20 and thinking about going big time with the pn-40. The pn-20 can get me within 10ft most of the time and is pretty cache friendly. It, however, is nothing compared with what I have seen on the pn-40. Delmorme outdid themselves when it comes to caching on the pn-40.

vstromcharlie Guest
    I've only had the PN40 a short time now but it is deadly accurate. Before you laugh I've just started Geocaching and have found 6 caches thus far. The pn40 has put me within 1-3' each time. The last one put me on top of the cache litterally. I mean I was tripping on it.

I have found that if I recalibrate when I get within 5 meters of so I get a much more accurate placement. I absolutely love the map layering and map cutting features great stuff.

pshelto Guest
    I just found the new update for the pn-20 which is supposed to help with geocaching, but I can't seem to get it to work. The program never will detect my unit, even after resetting, reinstalling, cleaning the contacts and closing all programs. Anyone else experience this while updating?

vstromcharlie Guest
    I have a friend that had the same problem. He finally had to call Delorme tech support to help with getting it sorted. I believe he had to reload something but I forgot what? I will call him tomorrow and see what it was.