Thread: a question about logs

chadbishop Guest

a question about logs

not sure which category this should go in, but this seemed appropriate. sorry if its in the wrong place.

i have a question concerning log replacement in caches i find. i come across alot of wet or damaged logs in my hunts. i read in guides that you should carry replacement logs with you in case of this, or also if the log is full. my question is, what do you do with a log that is wet or damaged that you replace. do you make a note in your log the a new log has been added or the old one replaced? most of the wet logs ive seen are still legible you just cant write on them without causing damage, but throwing them away doesnt seem right. what should i do?

Good question. We've found wet logs several times. Usually, we just take the wet log out and let it dry while we are at the cache site. A one-page log will usually dry pretty well in 10 minutes or so. If the log book has multiple pages and will take a long time to dry, we will usually put a dry one and just leave the old one in there. (The problem with this, of course, is that the moisture tends to make everything else damp.)

In either case, be sure to send a maintenance note to the owner.

What do the rest of you do?

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

We have taken them with us before because there is not much room in Micros for a damp log plus a new log. When we log the find we will send the owner a message asking him/her what they want us to do with the old log. So far we have not had any issues doing it that way.

flannelman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jclaudii
    We have taken them with us before because there is not much room in Micros for a damp log plus a new log. When we log the find we will send the owner a message asking him/her what they want us to do with the old log. So far we have not had any issues doing it that way.
    Same here. It has always worked for me.

Works for us too

Ditto. There are degrees of wet logs. I replace a log if it is mush, and discard the mush. If the log is thoroughly waterlogged and unsignable, but not quite mush, I'll replace the log and leave the old one in there. If it is damp, but signable, I'll try to dry it a little, then replace it. I've never come across a cache owner who wanted the old log, but I do always inform them that I performed maintenance. I've thought about taking it from the cache and sending it to the CO, but I find that they just prefer that I don't go through the trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by captaincooder
    Ditto. There are degrees of wet logs. I replace a log if it is mush, and discard the mush. If the log is thoroughly waterlogged and unsignable, but not quite mush, I'll replace the log and leave the old one in there. If it is damp, but signable, I'll try to dry it a little, then replace it. I've never come across a cache owner who wanted the old log, but I do always inform them that I performed maintenance. I've thought about taking it from the cache and sending it to the CO, but I find that they just prefer that I don't go through the trouble.
    now that is what i call a true Cacher helping another on the way