Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Traveling Geocaching Exhibit

WOW! What a great exhibit! The park director told us that the maze will stay in Smackover until March 2010 before moving to the next museum.

A visit to Smackover is really worth the drive no matter what part of the state you are in!

First, even without the maze, the museum is one of the nicest I've been in. Such a great combination of technology and history.

Second, the incredible amount of caches in the area! You don't even have to work hard to have a big caching day in the Smackover area.

Third, an Earth Cache. If you've never done an Earth Cache, there is a very well done one here!

Fourth, Parkcache. You want to find them all anyway, and this is a State Park so grab it while your here (and there are others nearby)

and finally, THE MAZE! The maze is just awesome! You'll find large phot walls featuring some of your favorite Arkansas cachers along with interactive displays showing how GPSrs work and info about geocaching, videos and more.

I would really recommend taking a Saturday or a weekend this summer and visiting Smackover. You'll be glad you did!

Thanks for the report, Tim! I really hated to miss this event, but an appointment Saturday morning kept me from leaving until much too late to make the event. However, I look forward to making a trip to L.A. sometime to see the exhibit and pick up some of those many, many caches that have been hidden in that area in the last year.

ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Ashallond Guest
    Since this exhibit is closing on the 30th, and will reappear in Pine Bluff in March, will a new cache be placed for the PB exhibit (with maze icon?) or what?

Or should we email Groundspeak about this, since Arkansas is the first state to have this type of GPS maze that is an in-state exhibit.

Ashallond, I am not 100% sure how this is going to be handled, so I have emailed Pam Beasley, Superintendent Arkansas Museum of Natural Resources in Smackover. If she does not know the answer, I'm sure she will find out and let me know. I will pass this along as soon as I hear something.

For those who have not visited this exhibit, you are in for a treat. I have made a couple of return trips since the dedication and have enjoyed it each time. I plan to visit it again each time that it moves.

I have just received an email from Pam and her answer follows.

The exhibit is not leaving the our place until March. We extended the dates. I don't think there will be a different icon, but it will should count as a different cache as it is a different site.

I'm looking forward to visiting this great exhibit in different locations all across the state. If you haven't seen it, it is well worth your time.

drmo913 Guest
    good news! i've not yet had time to grab this cache

Ashallond Guest
    Hmm, now how to find a day to drive down there from Fort Smith that the wife will let me go....