Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Traveling Geocaching Exhibit

Ashallond Guest
    yeah, that overnight thing....wife with a < 2 year old child probably won't let me wander across the state for a few days, and she doesn't cache....yet.

So how is the water level around Smackover? I saw the flooding around Camden and I want to make sure we can get to the event this weekend! Looking forward to seeing the new exhibit and to finding some caches in the area. Should get us geared up for GeoWoodstock!

Quote Originally Posted by BSA534
    So how is the water level around Smackover? I saw the flooding around Camden and I want to make sure we can get to the event this weekend! Looking forward to seeing the new exhibit and to finding some caches in the area. Should get us geared up for GeoWoodstock!
    I checked my caches at the river in Calion yesterday. One is probably about 10-15 feet underwater and I disabled it. I know for a fact other caches around the river are underwater as well, although their owner's have not disabled them yet. A photo in our local paper today showed the visitors center at Moro Bay State Park totally surrounded with water. http://www.eldoradonews.com/ In the upper right part of the page scroll through photo headlines until the Moro Bay Park pictures. The other caches away from the river may be soggy, but no other roads in Union County away from the river are currently closed. Hope that helps.

I went cachin' in Camden today and checked on State HWY 7 and of course it is under water and will be for a while. If you were planning on taking this route (Sparkman to Camden) you will instead need to use State HWY 9 (Sparkman- Holly Springs- Camden) instead.

Ashallond Guest
    Everything I read about this exhibit says 'seven museums in 2.5 years'....but no where does it list the other 6 museums. Anyone know them?

Here is something that I recieved from the Museum of Discovery in Little Rock last week that tells a lot about the exhibit and where it is going.

‘GPS Adventures Arkansas’ Comes to Arkansas Museum of Natural Resources May 16-December 30, 2009

Geocaching and navigation exhibit to open along with the opportunity for geocachers to log a find

Smackover, Ark. (March 10, 2009) – An exhibit opening for “GPS Adventures Arkansas” will be held at the Arkansas Museum of Natural Resources on May 16 from 11:00am to 1:30pm. “GPS Adventures Arkansas” is an educational traveling exhibition introducing GPS technology - its history and current uses. Door prizes, activities for children, networking and the opportunity for cachers to log the exhibit as a cache will be available.

“GPS Adventures Arkansas” maze is an educational traveling exhibition introducing GPS technology - its history, current uses and future possibilities. Visitors will learn the basics of traditional and modern navigation, see examples of GPS technology in use today, preview coming developments, and try their hand at designing future applications. They will simulate the sport of geocaching as they search for hidden caches and gain access to content rich educational galleries. Geared toward ages six through adult, the exhibit will travel to seven museums throughout Arkansas. Thousands of children and adults will hold GPS-enabled gear for the first time, opening doors to the life changing possibilities GPS technology makes possible both today and tomorrow.

Geocaching is a worldwide game of hiding and seeking treasure. A geocacher can place a geocache in the world, pinpoint its location using GPS technology and then share the geocache’s existence and location online. Anyone with a GPS unit can then try to locate the geocache.

“GPS Adventures Arkansas” exhibit is sponsored by the Arkansas Discovery Network, funded by the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation, which brings high-quality, national exhibits and events to the Arkansas Museum of Natural Resources and six other partner museums across the state. “GPS Adventures Arkansas” is developed by Groundspeak and Minotaur Mazes with development support from the National Executive Committee of Space-Based Positioning Navigation & Timing and technological contributions from Magellan and Spatial Solutions.

“GPS Adventures Arkansas” is sure to be popular with visitors of all ages,” said Pam Beasley, Museum Superintendent. “GPS Adventures Arkansas” is a fun, interactive way to learn about GPS technology as well as promoting a sport that the entire family can be involved in out doors.” Arkansas State Parks are an excellent place for the family to spend the day and geocache.

About Arkansas Museum of Natural Resources

The mission of the Arkansas Museum of Natural Resources is to collect, preserve and interpret Arkansas’s natural resources with particular emphasis on petroleum and brine used for bromine extraction. Exhibits throughout the museum demonstrate the discovery and uses of petroleum and brine. Temporary exhibits which change every six months focus on the other natural resources of the state. The museum is one of 52 Arkansas State Parks. Museum hours are from 8-5 Monday –Saturday and from 1-5 on Sundays. Admission is free.

About Arkansas Discovery Network

The Arkansas Discovery Network, an innovative network of seven museums and educational centers in Arkansas, was funded in 2006 by The Donald W. Reynolds Foundation with a grant of more than $7 million. The network focuses on making hands-on, interactive museum experiences more accessible to the state's 498,000 schoolchildren and their families. Partner museums include the Museum of Discovery in Little Rock, Mid America Science Museum in Hot Springs, Arts and Science Center for Southeast Arkansas in Pine Bluff, Texarkana Museums System in Texarkana, Arkansas Museum of Natural Resources in Smackover, Arkansas State University Museum in Jonesboro and the University of Arkansas Center for Mathematics and Science Education. Visit www.arkansasdiscoverynetwork.org for more information.

Sayitagain

Wonder if they will do a kickoff event at each stop!?!? That would be cool!

Did you notice that Arkansas made the Groundspeak Weekly Notification this week?

----------------------------------------------------------------
    II. GPS Adventures Arkansas - A New Maze Exhibit Opening May 16
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

The GPS Adventures Arkansas Maze Exhibit is a smaller, regional version of the nationally touring GPS Adventures Maze Exhibit and prominently features Arkansas State Parks. The educational exhibit will travel to 7 Arkansas museums over the next three-and-a-half years. Attendees will learn about GPS through interactive science experiences in a 1,500 square foot indoor maze and an outdoor GPS training course.

Join us for the launch of the exhibit on Saturday, May 16th at the Arkansas Museum of Natural Resources!
    http://coord.info/GC1QPFB

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

Ashallond Guest
    I did...and Hot Springs and Fayetteville are easily within driving distance for me. If I don't get down that far this summer, then I can definitely get it there.

Howlingmoon Guest
    There's going to be one in Fayetteville ? Sweet! I live right down the street. rofl I'll have to keep an eye out for it.