Thread: Geocaching in Conway

Cary Guest

Geocaching in Conway

Okay, Totally new to GC.. May even have to buy/borrow a GPS to do this. Here's the deal. We're heading to the Arkansas River just west of Conway, ar for the weekend. Thought it would be fun to get our feet wet in Geocaching while we're there. The problem is knowing how to find a database of geocaches in that specific area.
    Can someone please tell me how to narrow a search down to a few miles radius from Toad Suck L&D?

And then, once I hve chosen a few.. how do I get them onto my GPS?
    Thanks
    Cary

cache

Good afternoon,
    First, go to www.geocaching.com. On the left side of the home page is a bar; "Hide and seek a cache." One option is to find by postal code. Type in 72032 (of any of the Conway zips) and voila, all the caches in that area according to the radius you chose.
    I think you must be a "member" of the site to download the coordinates. There is a yearly fee for access, possibly a monthly fee, but very inexpensive for the service.
    From this point, you can do a few things depending on the make of your GPS. Once you have access to the information for the individual cache, you can download the coordinates to a Garmin device using a proprietary program found on Garmin's site. If you wish to grab a large number of caches, you can create a pocket query (go to getting started on the GC,com site) which will return a zip file to be opened by a number of software products. A simple (free) product to begin with is EasyGPS. At some point you may wish to move to GSAK at a price. Any of the software products will send the coordinate information to the GPS.
    Be sure to attend the Clarksville event, info likely on this site, but surely on geocaching.com. There wil be so many folks there who can help and give you tips about the "sport."
    I'm sure others have different suggestions for you so keep your eye to the forum..
    Enjoy...

Q Guest
    You have to be a premium member for the fancy dancy searches. Not to get the coords.

I use this a lot
    http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?
    put in a zipcode or town name and "voila"
    scroll to the spot you want

Welcome!

I hope that you have some good luck in Conway this weekend. I am a cacher from Conway and am gonna try to help you out as much as I can.

Here is a link to all the caches that are closest to the Old ferry cache. That cache is located on the east side of the river at toad suck park.

click here to view that list.

It is a busy weekend for me or I would offer to come out and help you find some, but if you need some help, shoot me a call at 501-472-8977.

GOOD LUCK!

Chris Denton