Thread: New to Arkansas

TonynBecky Guest

New to Arkansas

We are a new family to Arkansas and Geocaching. Since the weather has finally improved, we are heading out for to explore Mount Magazine this weekend and we would like attempt a search in the Cove Lake trail area. I have searched Geocaching.com for coordinates in that area but had no luck. Does anyone know of a cache on the or near the Cove Lake Trail? Thanks, Tony, Becky & Chase

TonynBecky welcome to Arkansas and Geoaching! I'm also glad you found the Arkansas Geocachers Association and hope you will go on over to the registered voting link and become a member.

I live in Paris which is the Gateway to Mt. Magazine. Unfortunately, there are currently no geocaches on the Cove Lake Trail. When my family and I first started caching there was one cache, Cove Lake GCGXGZ, but it has since been disabled. I would love to place a cache or two myself on the trail, but I have not had the chance to yet. It is also on U.S. Forest Service Property which would require a permission and a permit from them.

There are some great caches located on Mount Magazine, I have found most of them but not all of them. There is one Way Up on the Mountain that is in a great place, but might not be as kid friendly as other IMOP.

If I can ever be of any help in the Paris area let me know.

TonynBecky Guest
    Paris1time,
    Thank you for your help. Now I feel better that I maybe I do understand the "find coordinates" process; I was sure that I was missing the ones on Cove Lake. We are going to start slow on the hikes and the caches since we have a kiddo in tow.
    Tony, Becky & Chase

Welcome to our little online community and welcome to the state as well. Hope you guys find a few caches when you head up to the Magazine area. Hopefully we'll be seeing you all around or your names on cache logs.

GeoJeepers Guest
    Welcome to Arkansas caching and ARKGEO! Mt. Magazine is a fantastic place, and it has some great caches too! Is Magazine the closest state park to where you live? There is some great caching along the trails in many of our state parks..some trails aren't too long either (we've got 2 kids who aren't so little any more, but they were once).

TonynBecky Guest
    GeoJeepers,
    Thank you for the welcomes. We are between Fort Smith and Greenwood; i am unsure where are the closest Parks. Just bought a Hiking Arkansas book so that should help us get started. Tony, Becky & Chase

TonynBecky, Welcome to AR and geocaching. We have family over in your area so we visit there regularly. You have a bunch of caches at Fort Chafee. Some are park and grabs and some are short walks. Also Ben Geren park and Janet Huckabee's Nature Center have some with a bit of hiking. Hope to meet you on the trail of those smilies, Nukeworker and Racquetball Girl

Welcome to the world of Geocaching and to Arkansas. We have a daughter and her family that live in Greenwood - it is a nice little town.

We have cached quiet a bit around Ft. Smith and suggest that you start with the caches in Ft. Chaffee. You can get quite a few caches, and a little education on how caches may be hidden. Do you have children? If so, they will enjoy those as well as the caches in Ben Geren Park. There are some nice caches in Greenwood, as well, and in Lavaca.

Paris is a great place to go caching and it is just at the foot of Mt. Magazine. Also, there are a number of caches South of Mt. Magazine on / around Blue Mountain Lake.

If we can ever be of assistance, please just email or call.
    Jim and Sandy Fryar
    likestocanoe gang
    “There aren’t enough days in the weekend.”
    Rod Schmidt