Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Log deleted, what would you do ?

Howlingmoon Guest

Log deleted, what would you do ?

What would you do if someone deletes your legitimate log only because you took all the trackables out of the cache ?

I don't think there is much you can do Moonie. You might try to post a new log if you want to try and fight it. Maybe you can quote the rule about trackables not being "trade items". Good luck.

Howlingmoon Guest
    I didn't think about including that in my log. I did repost the log. I had to rewrite it, and tis not as good or long as my original. I hadn't updated my database yet, so I didn't have it saved. We'll see if they do it again.

I kind of thought the point of trackables was to take them and move them along. Seems like someone is making up their own rules. Which, sadly in this case, is O.K. to do.
    I know there is a way to log a cache without sending the notification to the owner. I'm not sure about the route through this back door, but I'll just bet someone on here knows it. Of course the owner may eventually read the logs and delete it again, but it may be worth a try.
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!!

Howlingmoon Guest
    He deleted my log again, so I logged my Tram Law - Muggle Factor, which has the same 3-1 rating. If someone can point me in the direction of the back door, I will give that a try.

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    What cache are we talking about here? Perhaps a few people logging notes asking him his policy on deleting logs will cause him to rething.

Howlingmoon Guest
    He eventually told me that he mainly deleted my log because I wrote how I had to retrieve the cache. Originally, his only thing was the trackables I took from the cache.

I sent the person an email so sweet, it could kill a non diabetic. He's replied saying that I can relog the find without "spoilers" but, still wants me to understand HIS point of view on the trackables. He seems to think that trackables are trade/swag items, and are supposed to be traded as such. I have emailed him my edited log to make sure tis satisfactory to him before reposting it to the cache.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlingmoon
    He eventually told me that he mainly deleted my log because I wrote how I had to retrieve the cache. ... He seems to think that trackables are trade/swag items, and are supposed to be traded as such.
    I can see his point if you gave away too much information about the hide. I've never deleted a log like that before, although I have emailed a finder to ask them to remove the revealing detail (which they did).

Regarding the trackables, did you take them and leave something? Or did you just take them and leave nothing? If you take a TB, I think you need to leave something (doesn't have to be another trackable, though). In my opinion, it's bad form to take something from a cache and not leave anything. I don't know if you did that or not, but I've seen that before and I can understand if it upset the cache owner.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Howlingmoon Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRiverRunner
    Regarding the trackables, did you take them and leave something? Or did you just take them and leave nothing? If you take a TB, I think you need to leave something (doesn't have to be another trackable, though). In my opinion, it's bad form to take something from a cache and not leave anything. I don't know if you did that or not, but I've seen that before and I can understand if it upset the cache owner.
    Trackables are not the same as swag. If you take a swag item, you SHOULD leave something. If you take a trackable, there's no requirement to leave something 'cause the trackables are meant to be moved. Of all the trackables I've picked up, I have never left anything in their place 'cept other trackables if I had any that needed to be moved.

For example, when I did my 7 day caching trip in November. I took 13-14 trackables from NWA with me to drop in Clarksville, and picked up the 10 or so that were there to bring back to NWA.

If someone has a problem with the way I play the game, I'm sorry but, that's how everything I've read and heard has said it should be done 'til now. As everyone keeps saying, everyone plays the game their own way. I'm not here to make enemies 'cause of the way I play the game. I'm just trying to have fun and enjoy tis beautiful state we all live and cache in.

majii Guest
    I never feel obligated to leave anything when I take a trackable. I feel like I'm doing a favor for the owner of the trackable by moving it. IMO, there's no need to leave swag or another trackable in its place.