Thread: Ten Oldest Active Traditional Caches by State

Ten Oldest Active Traditional Caches by State

I was posting a note to my cache in Petit Jean State Park, Off The Beaten Path (GC8CD), when I noticed that my cache was on this bookmark list: Ten Oldest Active Traditional Caches by State. This is a very interesting list which may provide some new challenges for our avid geocachers here in The Natural State! Who will be the first to find ALL of these caches??? I have only found three of them , counting my own cache, which was NOT mine when I found it (I later adopted it). So I still have 7 to find in Arkansas, before I should even think about going interstate!

Old River Runner
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

That's really neat. I think we've only found one but I didn't go through the entire list. I love finding older caches. They tend to be out of the way and you can sit down and read through the logbook which is so cool. We'll definitely be adding some of those to our "to-do" list. Thanks ORR for sharing this.

GeoJeepers Guest
    That's really cool...made me go back and look at our log post for Off the Beaten Path...5 years ago now, I can hardly believe it. This cache is one of those special ones...all I have to do is start talking about it and everyone says "Oh, the one where we crossed the creek on the stones and had the picnic on the flat rock in the middle of the creek?" It was 5 years ago and it still comes out that quickly, that's when you know it's a good one. It's the only one we have found on this bookmark list, and if I thought the other 9 would be the same I'd be looking for one of them right now!

This is really neat. This may be a dumb question but how do you figure out what 10 are from Arkansas without actually clicking on all 510 cache descriptions?

Quote Originally Posted by arkfiremedic
    ...how do you figure out what 10 are from Arkansas without actually clicking on all 510 cache descriptions?
    Easy, if you use GSAK. Save the bookmark list as a pocket query and run it. Once you receive your PQ file, load it into GSAK and then sort by state.

I'm not sure how to do it without GSAK.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

majii Guest
    I created a pocket query from the bookmark list and then looked at the map of the PQ on geocaching.com.

HikerRon Guest
    I dont have GSAK but just looking thru the list i see 6 that i have done.
    GC30
    GC371
    GC1B
    GC18
    GC67
    GC8CD

Did you notice who owns the bookmark list?

Jeremy is the President and Co-founder of Groundspeak, Inc., the company that owns and operates Geocaching.com.
    "Honey, we're not normal people. We're the Griswolds. "

B62GTAWK Guest
    Thanks ORR. I hate to admit I have only found one and not the one in my own county. I will have to do something about that.