Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beautiful Story

Beautiful Story

I was looking through the Groundspeak forums and came across this post. It's a wonderful cache log and I thought everyone would enjoy it. Check it out.

Thanks for posting the link to that log. Great story.

edieo Guest
    This was a wonderful logs thanks for sharing

I loved the log as well. When you are having people steal and vandalize your caches it sure is nice to read something like this and remember why we place caches out. Another reason that always helps is when good log writers come to town- like all the ones that will be in my town at the end of the month!

GeoJeepers Guest
    That was a fantastic story. I had a pretty good idea before I got to the bottom I was going to read that the cache owner had told the cacher to mark it as found. Good stuff.

I saw this yesterday while browsing the forums. What I couldn't get over was how everyone's commented about letting their kids near wild animals. They couldn't just enjoy the "feel good" part, they had to take the opportunity to criticize.

Edited for horrible spelling

Quote Originally Posted by TnT
    I saw this yesterday while browsing the forums. What I couldn't get over is how everyones comments abott letting their kids near wild animals. They couldn't just let the "feel good" part go, they had to take the opportunity to criticize.
    I thought the same thing TnT. It started from something good for a special needs child and eroded rather quickly didn't it? It is a shame because it had the potential to be a really good thread.

Shanka Guest
    Hey everyone, I am the person who wrote that log. I am glad that our story warmed so many hearts. It sounds as as though there was some flaming going on about me letting my children near wild animals. I have no idea where this particular forum is but it saddens me to know that I am being judged without anyone knowing more details. When we first arrived I sat in my van with the kids and explained how we act around animals like this. I have a background in animal behaviour and am a service dog trainer. All of my training helped me to decide if the situation was safe or not. It was safe for all 5 kids and after we touched the animals all 5 children had their hands and arms washed right up to their elbows. Raccoons can carry worms and other parasites that would not be good for children. I am fully aware of any risks and my children were safe. I have received all kinds of positive emails and I thank those of you for sending them to me. As for my daughter, her heart is full of joy and that is what really matters. It really is sad that there are people out there who are so judgmental.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanka
    Hey everyone, I am the person who wrote that log. I am glad that our story warmed so many hearts. It sounds as as though there was some flaming going on about me letting my children near wild animals. I have no idea where this particular forum is but it saddens me to know that I am being judged without anyone knowing more details. When we first arrived I sat in my van with the kids and explained how we act around animals like this. I have a background in animal behaviour and am a service dog trainer. All of my training helped me to decide if the situation was safe or not. It was safe for all 5 kids and after we touched the animals all 5 children had their hands and arms washed right up to their elbows. Raccoons can carry worms and other parasites that would not be good for children. I am fully aware of any risks and my children were safe. I have received all kinds of positive emails and I thank those of you for sending them to me. As for my daughter, her heart is full of joy and that is what really matters. It really is sad that there are people out there who are so judgmental.
    Hi, Shanka.

I can probably speak for many regarding this particular posting. Most of us were truly touched by the joy that these raccoons brought to your daughters. As parents ourselves, there is no way we would endanger our children, and the thought that you might have done so never crossed my mind while reading your log.

As for the groundspeak forums, it doesn't matter what thread you start reading, within 10 postings of the start of any thread, the same 20 or so people chime in with the same canned criticisms. Nobody can have a thought, or a new idea -- or have their children revel in the beauty of nature, without their explicit permission it seems.

Anyway, I'm glad your children enjoyed their time with the 'coons.

Michael of *TnT*

Quote Originally Posted by TnT
    I saw this yesterday while browsing the forums. What I couldn't get over was how everyone's commented about letting their kids near wild animals. They couldn't just enjoy the "feel good" part, they had to take the opportunity to criticize.

Edited for horrible spelling
    One of the reasons I rarely visit the Groundspeak forums...