Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The ZEN of Geocaching: What Makes a Good Hide?

nonnipoppy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Griswolds
    Hides I don't like:

Now to get back to the original question, what makes a cache good:
    Unique, Creative, Challenging, Location
    You notice I said Challenging and not Difficult. For example, Eureka was Difficult, The Judge was Challenging and a lot more fun. (Sorry Poppy)
    Of the four aspects I mentioned, I would say Creativity is the key. We have enjoyed several caching trips to Clarksville and have been amazed at some of the "containers".
    Hey Griswolds,

There is no need to be sorry. You feel how you feel. Eureka is difficult as it was intended. But as I look back at it it has not been fun. This has made me rethink some new cache hides that are being placed now. Eureka will be there a bit longer but expect it to be archived in January. Perhaps making room for a new cache to be released, along with others, on Jan 22, 2005. Expect even more variation in the cache containers....poppy

Why is Eureka going to be archived? Eureka was a great hide. Its not too hard if you have SPECIAL equipment. Poppy thanks for the hide.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

nonnipoppy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by arkansas_stickerdude
    Why is Eureka going to be archived?

Hey Stickerdude I'm suprised you did not read the two main reasons why

[quote ="nonnipoppy"]Eureka is difficult as it was intended. But as I look back at it it has not been fun. This has made me rethink some new cache hides that are being placed now. Eureka will be there a bit longer but expect it to be archived in January. Perhaps making room for a new cache to be released, along with others, on Jan 22, 2005.
    [/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by arkansas_stickerdude
    ........ Its not too hard if you have SPECIAL equipment.
    For the rest of you that means a metal detector ...poppy

cachemates Guest
    Hey Poppy
    Glad you made it back from your trip. I hope we can get up your way before you archive Eureka. I told ORR at the central ark event I thought I could find that cache with my metal detector, sounds like some others had to use theirs to find it as well.
    Hope to be up that way soon.
    Jerry

nonnipoppy Guest
    Hello Jerry,

That darn cache is so difficult to find I could use a metal detector to find it.
    I hope you get a chance to look for that cache but IT WILL BE ARCHIVED by January 22, 2005.

On that date there will be a cache event in Clarksville and a new cache will be in that general location.

RuffRidr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nonnipoppy
    Hello Jerry,

That darn cache is so difficult to find I could use a metal detector to find it.
    I hope you get a chance to look for that cache but IT WILL BE ARCHIVED by January 22, 2005.

On that date there will be a cache event in Clarksville and a new cache will be in that general location.
    I'm glad you are having the cache event in Clarksville again next year. We had a lot of fun this year, and we will most certainly be down there again for the next one.

--RuffRidr

COunt me in also!!!!! Is it January YET!!!!!!! If there is anything you need help with just let me know.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

I'll go ahead and post mine, although composing this list has made me realize that I don't even like some of my OWN caches...

1) Something to see or do at the location. It doesn't even have to be much. A plaque to read, a park, SOMETHING.

2) A creative hide, such as a unique container or method of hiding. (Make a run to Clarksville to see what I'm talking about...)

3) Well-thought-out and cryptic hints.

4) Puzzles.

Dislikes:

1) Lots of weeds, underbrush, mud, etc. to bushwhack through. I don't mind a long hike, but I hate those seed ticks and saw-briars...

2) Encrypted hints that are either useless or that I need before I start searching, such as, "NO HINT NEEDED" or "PARK AT THE SHOPPING CENTER"

3) Locations where I feel uncomfortable searching. If I'm in full view from someone's kitchen window or if it's a place where a grown man wandering around seems out of place, I'm a little nervous.

Of course, there are almost always exceptions. One we did recently in Memphis comes to mind. It was in the middle of a parking lot. Nothing to see there really, but we enjoyed the fact that it was in plain view in the middle of a busy shopping center. People all around us were oblivious to what was going on!
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

grandkid44 Guest

good hides ?

I agree with all that has been said , in part. I use a meridian gold and a garmin 60cs to establish coordinates..both are excellent units..they rarely agree . the 60cs will give a read out for expected reliability ..the best we can expect is 10 meters..by combining units , holding my tongue right , kneeling to the west and chanting I have been able to improve on this..sometimes. The geo book recently published states 45ft is about average. This can be improved on by triangulating and using gps with waas with compass..the 60cs engages all of these...I have discovered that if I place the cache , establish coordinates , then walk a few hundred feet away and return and see my unit reading two feet from the initial readings I have a good take..I do this now with two units. Im afraid a lot of people are intimidated in placing caches , and , this is sad. As a bunch , we can be fairly petty ...no one hides a cache and intentionally provides bad coordinates , or , plans for it to be muggled , or , not closed properly by a cacher , and getting wet. When reported , these things need to be fixed and the cache temporarily disabled..we have had caches muggled , drained{ items removed and no trade item}, hit by maintenance crews , you name it.. the most upsetting to me is for an experienced cacher to remove items , not close the cache container properly , not re-hide , simply leave in the open , and destroy caching for the next person..as SOON as we find a report of a problem with a cache we disable and make repairs or archive. My biggest problem is with those that complain in a personal way , yet , themselves have never hidden a cache.... Someone finding 200 caches and hiding 3-4 or none. Ive always appreciated those trying . .. a good cache requires a good geocacher.

walkingshadow Guest
    This topic has been asleep for awhile but.... I would like input on what you think makes a great multicache. I have done a couple and enjoyed them. I have all the elements for a multi-cache except for a location.... I have a couple in mind but....

I want to make the cache an adventure but not so hard that it can't be found.

The multi's that I have been to have been with in walking distance...I wonder if it would be good to have a cache that covered distance but followed a theme

any input would be appreciated.....

walkingshadow and red